Thread: Rogue acces point but no internet

Question Rogue acces point but no internet

hello guys,
    I'm having some trouble creating a wifi bridge for my rogue acces point. i'm using 2 computers here. 1 with kali linux and the 2nd as a client
    I installed the "apt-get install bridge-utils" in kali, wich is ok and my kali computer is connected with the Lan cable to the internet. (I can use firefox for browsing)

My first step is to make a rogue acces point called "rogue"
    then I create a wifi bridge (brctl addbr wifi-bridge)
    then i add my interfaces (brctl addif wifi-bridge at0 and eth0) (checked with iwconfig and the interfaces are ok and i can also see the bridge "wifi-bridge")
    then i bring the interfaces up using: ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up and ifconfig at0 0.0.0.0 up
    and in the last step i use the ipforwarding command: echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

everything seems to go well till now and there are no error messages BUT: (always a but)

when i go to my client computer and try to connect to the rogue acces point the follwing happens:
    -- I connect to my roque AP and on the backtrack computer I see the message client connected blablabla (wich is ok and comfirms that my client is connected to my acces point)
    -- my client shows me also that is is connected but with limited connection. I am connected to the rogue AP but when i try to google I am not able to connect to the internet
    Anyone knows what went wrong here or what did I do wrong? How can I check what is going wrong here?
    Hope someone can help me out here as this keeps me awake exploring a next level
    regards!

So you have a limited connection, are you actually able to do internal network communication (ping machine that is generating the ad hoc network, for example)?

I also have the same problem, I am able to get a fake wireless AP running and can detect it on other machines; however , My phone is stuck on "obtaining Ip address from "net1" , my desktop has the same Limited activity, I'm not sure about being able to ping. My gut tells me it has something to do with My fake AP not being able to provide an IP address to the client. My other question then arises. If i do have to change the dhcpd.conf file, Can I just assign random Ip address to clients? and a random range? Does this have a dependent i'm missing like the certain range from my ISP provider etc.. If so, then how would one be able to have a mobile Fake AP? I'm assuming you would then have to rearrange the conf file every time you found a new internet connection? And does the laptop broadcasting the fake AP have to be connected wireless/wired to the internet initially to connect a client back to the net or can one just see a client connected to a hotspot and create a fake AP and connect the client back to the original hotspot without ever having to connect to the hotspot himself?

nopes, when i try pinging the 192.168.1.1 (wich is the ip of my router) it sends the packets but it doesn't receive them...

I've tried this with my kali mashine and and another backtrack mashine...same weird results..

Quote Originally Posted by jackpwns View Post
    So you have a limited connection, are you actually able to do internal network communication (ping machine that is generating the ad hoc network, for example)?

Hey! The problem is solved!
    Really stupid from my part but when i checked ifconfig the "wifi-bridge" was not shown so i tried
    # ifconfig wifi-bridge up and tried to connect my client to the rogue AP.
    Works fine now and wireshark is able to check all the traffic on the at0.
    thanks anyway !