Thread: Unable to Boot: Black Screen with Wrist Watch

Question Unable to Boot: Black Screen with Wrist Watch

Hi All,

I just installed Linux today on a HP 6930p. Kali was working fine till I ran Sudo apt-get update I installed all 22 updates. After rebooting I can't login because it is stuck at black screen with a wrist watch as a mouse. I can enter recovery mode and I tried "cd .." to see if the terminal is ok which it is. Does anyone have any idea how I can recover this to use the GUI and login, etc.

Thanks

It sounds like it's booted, but not showing gdm. Hit CTRL+ALT+F1 from that screen and see if you get to a TTY. From there try 'service gdm3 stop' and then 'service gdm3 start'. To get back to where the GUI would be, hit CTRL+ALT+F7.

Beyond that, I am pretty much out of ideas.

Actually, I am not sure what happened. I re installed Kali ran the updates and it was fine.

hp 6930p

I what Kali Linux version did you install. I have a HP 6930p and was wondering which one to install.
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorA View Post
    Hi All,

I just installed Linux today on a HP 6930p. Kali was working fine till I ran Sudo apt-get update I installed all 22 updates. After rebooting I can't login because it is stuck at black screen with a wrist watch as a mouse. I can enter recovery mode and I tried "cd .." to see if the terminal is ok which it is. Does anyone have any idea how I can recover this to use the GUI and login, etc.

Thanks