Thread: "waiting for /dev to be fully populated" at boot

"waiting for /dev to be fully populated" at boot

Hi,

i just did an apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade on my KALI-Linux. After rebooting i got a freeze at the very beginning of the booting process: "waiting for /dev to be fully populated"
    The recovery Kernel doesnt start as well.
    Except the boot partition everything is encrypted and there are logical volumes.

Any ideas? Thx!!!
    philosophos

It freezes or it takes some time to boot ? try to wait and if it boots try the dmesg command to see if there is any device that causes the problem

3. Right, populating /dev has to do with the os trying to figure out what hardware you have. So it may be possible that a device is causing it to hang. I think root-boys suggestion is a good one. You may want to also try disconnecting any devices you have connected one at a time to see if you can find the culprit that way.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Thanks!

You were right. After i switched off the wireless lan function the laptop booted up as usual. I assume the problem accurred because i removed my wireless lan card a few days ago for a replacement and used an external adapter since then. However, Kali isn't to blame but me. Great distribution!

philosophos

Quote Originally Posted by root-boy View Post
    It freezes or it takes some time to boot ? try to wait and if it boots try the dmesg command to see if there is any device that causes the problem
    Can you explain precisely how to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by root-boy View Post
    it is not booting up on it's own. it boots only when i put in the grub disc and 'detect any operation system'.