Thread: Installation stops at 50% when copying files to the hard drive - getting desperate!

Exclamation Installation stops at 50% when copying files to the hard drive - getting desperate!

Hi guys!

So I thought to try what's Kali like in use, been using Backtrack 5 for a while now.

I have tried different methods and checked different things why I just can't install Kali. The problem is, everytime I try to install Kali the installation progress stops while copying files to hard drive! The strange thing is that the installation always stops when the process is excatly at 50% of copying files to the hard drive.

Just to be clear, I had Backtrack 5v3 installed on that same hard drive before I started to install Kali, but I dunno if it makes any difference.

Methods I have tried so far:

- Burning the ISO file to two different DVD disks (with two different programs also), no luck.
    - Making a bootable USB stick from the ISO file (still freezes at 50% just like with DVD's).
    - Checked the hard drive with Partition Wizard, removing all the partitions and creating them again with different file systems many times (this software was suggested at other forums for cases like I have).
    - Tried to wipe all the sectors with Partition Wizard (writing 0-1 sectors to the whole hard drive).
    - Checked out that there should be nothing wrong with the hard drive (guess it checks for bad sectors...?). Anyway it gave me zero "red" pieces, only green ones after running it for a long time, whatever operation that is.
    - Tried to start the installation from live DVD.

Hmm, might have tried some other methods too and use the Google as much as it just can help but I found nothing. I lost my sleeps last night because I just tried all the different methods since I really want to get Kali installed!

Something says me it must have something to do with my hard drive (500Gb on the machine I tried to install Kali), but it worked perfectly fine with Backtrack installed on it at the very same day yesterday so dunno what could have broken it or anything. And it's always the 50% of installation when it says there's an error copying the rest of the files to the hard drive.

I'm kinda running out of ideas myself, so please if somebody wiser could have some more suggestions for my issue I'd be very thankful for all the suggestions!

Thank you in advance for everybody taking a look at this issue / post!

Have you checked the SHA-1 sum on the ISO? Could be corrupt.

Hi and thank you for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus1776 View Post
    Have you checked the SHA-1 sum on the ISO? Could be corrupt.
    No I didn't have checked that option out, but I downloaded a software for checking if the file(s) arre corrupted. I forgot to mention on the post before tho that I downloaded the ISO image with both via http and torrent, just in case there would have been a broken file or something at the 1st try. Now as I tested both images as you recommended, they both seem to be fine.

Using Kali from the live DVD or USB stick both works perfectly fine also btw. I also tried installing Kali to my other computer - got excatly the same problem ("freezing" at 50% of copying files). Just to test my hard drive, I installed Backtrack 5 back to the machine I was supposed to install Kali and the installation went ok. Then I also installed a copy of Windows 7 to the second machine's partition ment for installing Kali and the installation of Windows 7 also went just fine.

Any more suggestions? Really would love to give Kali a better try!

4. It sounds like it is stopping at a specific point everytime, leads me to believe there is something conflicting somewhere. Possibly hardware related. (not that your hardware is bad) perhaps you have an external device like a webcam, printer, usb device, external storage device etc that is hanging it up? Try disconnecting to only the bare minimum to keep your pc running for the install. This might be the issue.

edit* I see you tried to install to a different machine as well with the same issue. Is there an error output, and if so what does it say?
    Also, when making the LiveUSB, what method did you use, and for burning the DVD's at what write speed did you use?
    Last edited by charonsecurity; 2013-08-09 at 02:40.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

I had this stalling at 50%, and had used both DVD and USB installs.

The solution?

Use Gparted and take the partition back to free space.

Install Kali into this free space, and allow Kali to format it.

It must be a hiccup we've both experienced due to previous formatting. Good luck

It seems to me like some filesystem issue. Try using gparted as uwnthesis is pointing out. Use ext4 filesystem and a swap partition. Then use text mode installation from starting menu, avoid installing from inside kali or graphical mode and see if it works.

If still the same, you might want to see some hardware issues and start disabling or disconnecting some media hardware.

I was attempting to install the 1.04 amd64 ISO to a VMware Fusion 5 machine and also saw issues with the installation hanging at various % complete when attempting to install with encrypted LVM. I decided to try an unencrypted non-LVM install (as VMware can go back later and encrypt the virtual disk outside of the guest OS) and the process completed without error.

I haven't tried the installation with unencrypted LVM disk, but if you're using LVM you might try without and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by uwnthesis View Post
    I had this stalling at 50%, and had used both DVD and USB installs.

The solution?

Use Gparted and take the partition back to free space.

Install Kali into this free space, and allow Kali to format it.

It must be a hiccup we've both experienced due to previous formatting. Good luck
    The same problem here.
    Would you like to tell me step by step how did you solve the problem please?
    I spend much time to understand how to mount usb pendrive and copy debug logs on it while after there is solution how to fix the problem.
    I would be very greetful 4 you.

@ edit

I no think so this is partitioning fauld. Check out my logs:

Aug 23 18:31:27 kernel: [ 385.266048] EXT4-fs (sda5): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: errors=remount-ro
    Aug 23 18:31:28 apt-install: Queueing package e2fsprogs for later installation
    Aug 23 18:31:28 main-menu[1280]: (process:17307): WARNING: could not open /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-486/modules.builtin: No such file or directory
    Aug 23 18:31:28 main-menu[1280]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
    Aug 23 18:31:28 main-menu[1280]: INFO: Menu item 'live-installer' selected
    Aug 23 18:31:28 base-installer: info: Using squashfs support for /cdrom/live/filesystem.squashfs
    Aug 23 18:31:28 anna-install: Installing squashfs-modules
    Aug 23 18:31:28 anna[19544]: DEBUG: resolver (kernel-image-3.7-trunk-486-di): package doesn't exist (ignored)
    Aug 23 18:31:28 anna[19544]: DEBUG: retrieving squashfs-modules-3.7-trunk-486-di 3.7.2-0+kali8
    Aug 23 18:31:28 kernel: [ 386.472607] squashfs: version 4.0 (2009/01/31) Phillip Lougher
    Aug 23 18:31:28 kernel: [ 386.476030] loop: module loaded
    Aug 23 18:34:43 kernel: [ 580.545509] SQUASHFS error: xz_dec_run error, data probably corrupt
    Aug 23 18:34:43 kernel: [ 580.545513] SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x4e45a54b
    Aug 23 18:34:43 kernel: [ 580.545515] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache entry [4e45a54b]
    [..]
    Aug 23 18:34:43 kernel: [ 580.545587] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 4e45a54b, size 1e594
    Aug 23 18:34:43 base-installer: error: The tar process copying the live system failed (only 161873 out of 288134 files have been copied, last file was ).
    Aug 23 18:34:43 main-menu[1280]: (process:19490): tar: read error: Input/output error
    Aug 23 18:34:43 main-menu[1280]: (process:19490): tar: short read
    Aug 23 18:34:43 main-menu[1280]: WARNING **: Configuring 'live-installer' failed with error code 1
    Aug 23 18:34:43 main-menu[1280]: WARNING **: Menu item 'live-installer' failed.
    Aug 23 18:38:42 main-menu[1280]: INFO: Modifying debconf priority limit from 'high' to 'medium'
    Aug 23 18:38:42 debconf: Setting debconf/priority to medium
    Aug 23 18:38:43 main-menu[1280]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
    Aug 23 18:38:45 main-menu[1280]: INFO: Menu item 'save-logs' selected
    Aug 23 18:38:54 main-menu[1280]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
    Aug 23 18:38:58 main-menu[1280]: INFO: Menu item 'di-utils-shell' selected
    Aug 23 18:39:55 main-menu[1280]: DEBUG: resolver (libgcc1): package doesn't exist (ignored)
    Aug 23 18:39:57 main-menu[1280]: INFO: Menu item 'save-logs' selected

I don't have any idea how to solve this.
    I lost my patention here.
    I'm counting for your help. I tried everything. You are my last tiny shadow of hope.

@ 2 edit

Ok i analysed the logs. I guess the fault leads in:

Aug 23 18:34:43 main-menu[1280]: (process:19490): tar: read error: Input/output error
    Aug 23 18:34:43 main-menu[1280]: (process:19490): tar: short read

So i guess it's something wrong with my pendrive... I guess or.. . I don't know. But i going to rent legit SONY 32 Gb pendrive from my friend. I hope it should works.
    Last edited by kleszcz0990; 2013-08-23 at 10:19.

Hi Kles,

Right, working from The Visual Guides... and a live CD.

1. Gparted
    Resize the partition, just to take it back to "unallocated" or free space.
    This will resolve the hiccup for you.

Use gparted.
    Kali Visual Guides are here:
    Dual Boot Installation Procedure

http://docs.kali.org/installation/du...i-with-windows

You are looking for "unallocated" or free space.

2. gparted changes don't take place until you use the green tick... "apply all operations".

Step 2 - Install Kali - using the Live install to both FORMAT and install Kali.
    Kali Linux Hard Disk Install

http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...d-disk-install

So we're pinching the "dual install" use of gparted... to resize and make the space "unallocated" or free.
    then using Kali to reformat the unallocated space and install Kali itself.

My guess is that previous formatting on the drive is causing a hiccup.

If we mark it as unallocated and use Kali to reformat it...We're in business.

Hope that helps

Hi All,

Looks like the old thread. But i am getting the same problem with Kali Linux 2.0. Did the above process with Mini Tool Partition wizard but still installation stops at 50%.

Need help..

Thanks
    Venkat

first try to scan your hdd for bad sectors (BS). you can use Hiren's boot (10.06 version) they have HDD regenerator.
    It can helps if you have BS
    if you have BS on hdd those space leave on unformated (free) space (just skip those BS)

read this post how to install Kali 2.0
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Kali-2-0-Sana
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post

mmmh maybe I have to try toi install trough "live" mode like other time I have installed linux distros..
    this time I have choose directly the "install" mode the first commands

Hello guys, same problem for me, but stopping even sooner ! 14% of install system. I check the sha1sum of iso. I re-install Xubuntu without problem, but every time I try to install Kali2.0 it freeze at 14%... Do you try to install an other distribution of Linux on your computer ?

Hi All,

At last my problem solved with Kali installation 50% stops.Kali Linux Light-amd-64 worked for me. Its installed without any errors through USB. I don't know whats wrong with full ISO file. Thanks to all. Any advice on light to full upgrade process will be helpful to me.

Thanks
    Venkat

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    first try to scan your hdd for bad sectors (BS). you can use Hiren's boot (10.06 version) they have HDD regenerator.
    It can helps if you have BS
    if you have BS on hdd those space leave on unformated (free) space (just skip those BS)

Hi Duxim,

My HDD is new one and no errors. I am doing "dual-boot" with "Unallotted space" as letting kali create partitions automatically. But writing data to disks stops at 50%. Today tried all kali ISO's (Mini, Light) and light amd-64 worked well. Next going to update to Full. Any suggestions on update process will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Venkat

Quote Originally Posted by Venkat View Post
    Hi Duxim,

My HDD is new one and no errors. I am doing "dual-boot" with "Unallotted space" as letting kali create partitions automatically. But writing data to disks stops at 50%. Today tried all kali ISO's (Mini, Light) and light amd-64 worked well. Next going to update to Full. Any suggestions on update process will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Venkat
    just after installation check source list and if it is not like this one replace it. Use this command to open soucre list
    leafpad /etc/apt/sources.list
    or instead lefapad use nano,gedit,kwrite......

#Regular repositories
    deb http://http.kali.org/kali/ sana main non-free contrib
    deb http://security.kali.org/kali-security/ sana/updates main contrib non-free

#Source repositories
    deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali/ sana main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security/ sana/updates main contrib non-free
    save it and then

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    then to add user

useradd -m user
    passwd user
    usermod -a -G sudo user
    chsh -s /bin/bash user
    where is user your username
    and at the end

apt-get install kali-linux-full