Thread: is (apt-get autoremove) remove drivers as well???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

is (apt-get autoremove) remove drivers as well???

well as topic name says every thing last night i type this command and after this i lost my wlan drivers pics from Kali default background folder i don't know what exact this command does ? any help or idea

2. Autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and that are no more needed. It should not remove user files like pictures, or drivers for used hardware.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

so now how can i istall them back or i need to install new copy of linux??

4. Usually people use the autoremove command, after they see a message telling them it is safe to do from doing an apt-get install (some package), often times it will list what packages it will remove that the system doesn't depend on. It's possible you inadvertently removed packages you didn't intend to because the system didn't see a use for them. But without know what packages were removed, I am unable to tell you which ones to install. Maybe though there is a system log of said removed packages?
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Quote Originally Posted by charonsecurity View Post
    Usually people use the autoremove command, after they see a message telling them it is safe to do from doing an apt-get install (some package), often times it will list what packages it will remove that the system doesn't depend on. It's possible you inadvertently removed packages you didn't intend to because the system didn't see a use for them. But without know what packages were removed, I am unable to tell you which ones to install. Maybe though there is a system log of said removed packages?
    I did exactly this (for the exact reason you said) and it completely removed lots of packages I needed for networking, etc. (even the gui... which I found out after rebooting). I have no idea how to reinstall all the packages it got rid of (because I don't know which ones they were, so I ended up reinstalling Kali. Granted, I am new to this, but it has been quite the pain in the ****. I learned a valuable lesson though!

I wonder if there is a script to reinstall all the defaul packages. I tried
    apt-get install Kali-linux-full
    but it already said I had that... so it wouldn't work. It seemed like a good idea though.