Thread: toshiba satellite c855d- s5209 not compatible with linux

toshiba satellite c855d- s5209 not compatible with linux

i have a toshiba satellite c855d- s5209-- i used dban to erase windows 7, then downloaded kali linux 64 bit iso to a dvd rw,on my other computer. I then tried to boot kali linux to my toshiba i then got to the boot menu and clicked graphical install; halfway through the installation it freezes on detecting network hardware.

Then i tried a regular install and pressed control c, to bypass detecting network hardware. I then installed it, then when i went to start it up and it freezes every time the start up process happens.

So after checking almost every forum even the kali linux forum i could not find a solution. I then went to a computer repair store, which also installs software.

the guy at the store told me my toshiba's might not be compatible with linux; now im thinking why not? how come i can install it on virtual machine, but not use it as my main os?

Even before seeking help, i also tried to download debian 7 64 bit iso to a dvd, same thing it froze.

Installing an operating system within a virtual machine is completely different than having it run on your hardware. I do not know the exact details on your laptop or the errors you encounter, however, you might want to look into turning ACPI off to test it.

My advice ? stick to the VM if your laptop is behaving this way.

3. I agree with sickness. I took a look at the specs of your notebook from the Toshiba website, and I don't see why not any brand of linux would not work correctly. Seems to have decent hardware for any distro out there. Can you try Kali in the Live environment before installing it to see if that would give you any issues?
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

yea i tried it live , it also froze starting up. I even verified the dvd wasn't the problem-- by running kali live on my other computer. Thanks for the help.