Thread: HP 6910p and installing Kali Linux 1.0.4 amd64

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JTD121 View Post
    You may also recall, this is a laptop, do the few things I can disconnect are the optical drive, and battery. And I did tell you what the device is, it's being halted by drm, which is the Direct Rendering Manager, according to a few articles I've read on replacing/upgrading the Radeon driver in Linux.
    You should be able to disable SSD drive in BIOS. I've got a different laptop, apparently if I have "Fastboot" options turned on in BIOS, USB doesn't even boot. Another options is to load SAFE Settings in BIOS (most BIOS got it these days) and work backwards.
    I used both Kali's official dd method, DVD-RW disk, and Universal USB Installer. Except for few instances when I downloaded new ISO from Kali Website using HTTP, it got corrupted. Kali website doesn't do too well resuming downloads and often download gets cut off at random %.
    My final download was via torrent for 1.0.5-x64 and it worked fine with Universal USB Installer. (apparently they included Kali, so there's that good thing going).

Quote Originally Posted by blackMORE View Post
    You should be able to disable SSD drive in BIOS. I've got a different laptop, apparently if I have "Fastboot" options turned on in BIOS, USB doesn't even boot. Another options is to load SAFE Settings in BIOS (most BIOS got it these days) and work backwards.
    I used both Kali's official dd method, DVD-RW disk, and Universal USB Installer. Except for few instances when I downloaded new ISO from Kali Website using HTTP, it got corrupted. Kali website doesn't do too well resuming downloads and often download gets cut off at random %.
    My final download was via torrent for 1.0.5-x64 and it worked fine with Universal USB Installer. (apparently they included Kali, so there's that good thing going).
    While I understand you are attempting to help, this is not at all helpful.

Disabling the SSD? Why would that possibly help? The SSD in the laptop is the main drive to install things upon.

And you can use the torrent, and check the SHA1 checksum. Much faster to download, plus you get to give back!

Again, it's NOT the installation that's the issue. I can install fine. I can't get Kali to BOOT after installing. Even running the Live version, doesn't work. At all.

And yeah, Ubuntu works, vanilla Debian works (both Ubuntu and Kali are Deb-based). Mint, SuSE, Fedora. All install and run fine.