Thread: Best Pen Testing Laptop for Kali

Red face Best Pen Testing Laptop for Kali

Simple or maybe not so simple question

Anyone have a suggestion for a laptop, preferably under $1k to dedicate to as a Kali laptop?

I just want everything to work right off the bat.

Hey , don't know if this is usefull information but I recently bought a MEDION akoya laptop for about 400 euro's and installed kali linux on it. I managed to install kali as dual boot with windows 8 without any trouble.
    Not the best laptop you can find I asume but it works like it should.
    Actually i have kali installed on three laptops, a siemens, a hp and the medion and they all work well so I wouldn't really worry about if buying a new one. I heard the dual boot thing with window 8 can sometimes be tricky. On my desktop HP envy I haven't been able to set the dual boot with win8 so i had to add a second hard drive for kali only.

3. I've been using the Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook (Not the chrome version) and all works well, even the wifi card.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Medion is (msi in some case like the razer blade chassis is msi I dont know if part are from msi though.... The chassis in many model yea..

Some lenovo chassis are from msi too..

The best Is Clevo ( Sager fully customizable laptop and you dont void the warantly at all.. If you change 50 time the wireless card or anything hehe
    Last edited by Bonami2; 2013-08-22 at 18:02. Reason: miss some info

I use a Lenovo think pad x131e. It's a very attractive notebook and it runs Kali great. Only thing is that the Bcm wifi card is not supported right off the bat, but it runs Alfa cards great. I use the NH. I'm pretty sure the thinkpad is one of the most common laptops at defcon (: I loveeeee mine. Definitely worth the money.
    Last edited by Lordx19; 2013-08-23 at 03:16. Reason: Forgot something

Toshiba P850 is a monster. Everything works well with Kali, or whatever you want to do.
    Of course you will need to buy a suitable usb Wifi... TP-LINK TL-WN722N works great.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I am gonna be looking at that Samsung Ultrabook...after i pay for the remodeling of my kitchen after my wife got on a "Hey lets change everything in the house" kick -_-

I am also looking to upgrade my notebook by month end,I need this for pentesting,running various pentesting tools,few VM simultaneously so there is no lag during multitask.

Have seen few notebooks and finally came across recently launched Lenovo Y50,I am planning to go with it.

http://www.thedostore.com/ideapad-y5059-431090.html
    4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7 4710 HQ, 8 GB RAM, HYBRID 1TB 5400RPM SSHD(8G), 15.6 FHD TN(SLIM), N15P-GX GDDR5 4G, Win8.1
    2xUSB3.0, 1xUSB 2.0,EXTERNAL 9.5MM DVD/RW

The only one downfall I see is that it has the graphics card which is almost waste for me,as a pentester I am not a serious gamer.

Any reviews on that,the machine itself or say its wifi?

Thanks