Thread: step failed : installing the system

Angry step failed : installing the system

Hello,
    I was gonna try to install Kali with Windows 7 , I had an empty space for Kali , a space of 15 GB and I formated the empty space with Windows and Kali detected the empty space Guided-use the largest continuous free space i complete all steps and when installing the system it stops about 70% or 80% and an error message appears , step failed : installing the system
    please how do I fix that?
    I was trying to install Kali 32 bit from a DVD and I used Graphical install and I tried installing 3 times and I installed Kali Linux on my PC but choosed Guided-use entire disk , and installation was succefull
    Thank you very much

How about giving us some logs or other information we might use to help you ? Also did you allocate 15 GB on your PC too for Kali or more ? I would recommend if you wisht o install Kali in Dual boot to give it more space and see if that helps.

Got the same error last night with Kali 1.0.4 64-bit. Re-downloading .iso file. I've had the same drama with Kali 1.0.1 and had to download the image twice.

Also, none of the conventional USB boot method including the one detailed in Kali docs worked. Only way I could install Kali is by burning the Image into a DVD. Interesting ...

Quote Originally Posted by sickness View Post
    How about giving us some logs or other information we might use to help you ? Also did you allocate 15 GB on your PC too for Kali or more ? I would recommend if you wisht o install Kali in Dual boot to give it more space and see if that helps.
    Hello,
    I gave the kali 15 GB exactly 15360Mega , and it was Kali Linux 1.0.3 32 bit i burned it to a bootable DVD, the DVD boots correctly I choose graphical install I complete all steps correctly and Kali finds no errors but when installing the system step , it fails and say step failed : Install the system

anyway I just tried again to install kali 1.0.3 32 bit from bootable DVD but this time I gave to Kali 17.69GB , and completed all steps succefully but still the same fail step and it's install the system,
    here's the report when trying to install using graphical install:
    Intallation step failed
    An installation step failed, you can try to run the failing item again from the menu or skip it and choose something else, the failing step is : Install the system

Quote Originally Posted by Youcef View Post
    anyway I just tried again to install kali 1.0.3 32 bit from bootable DVD but this time I gave to Kali 17.69GB , and completed all steps succefully but still the same fail step and it's install the system,
    here's the report when trying to install using graphical install:
    Intallation step failed
    An installation step failed, you can try to run the failing item again from the menu or skip it and choose something else, the failing step is : Install the system
    Youcef, I faced the Problem while installaing kali-1.0.5, Got stuck at "An Installation step" failed. Luckily, I tried a copy image of 32 bit ISO and the installation flawlessly..

I think it could have been the image itself which lead to this problem..

HTH

I was trying to install Kali 1.0.5 i386 32bit. After several failed attamp i have managed to install. When I reach Disk Pertitioning step in intalletion procedure I saw my usd stick (/dev/sdb) as primery pertition. I just select that choose "Do not use this device".
    Then kali installed smoothly.

Some older system doesnt supports more then 4 primery pertitions at a time including swap. I found 1 primery and 1 swap on my usb live Kali installetion disk. I select "Do not use this device" for both. Its work for me.

Just and FYI on this, hopefully it will help someone. I have had the same issue installing in VirtualBox VM and installing as the only OS on a PC. I have had the problem with 64 and 32bit full Kali 1.0.5 and 1.0.6. In every case I was able to get the install without any error using the Mini ISO. This obviously takes more time as it has to download as it is installing. So, if anyone is still having an issue with this error you may want to try to mini ISO.

Already got this problem and now fixed , just download kali amd64 don't download the 32bits and run it with Gui Installation don't use classic and about network step take it empty
    and after you will got Installation Finished !

Could you be a little clearer with what "take it empty" means?

i have the same problem and cant solve it yet

I had the same problem and I've solved it runing Kali in LiveCD mode and installed from that position.

Greets

This is the best way i found to successfully install kali
    my setup, MacBook Pro, AMD video card, etc...

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ll=1#post30910

Hi

I'm encounter similar problems when i attempting to install - Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO - the error is exactly the same every time, let me mention that the same error occurs on 2 different computers as well, when it comes to - installing the system - and the error pops up after 4-5% into the installatjon process.

... so.... after som trial and error with different mediums, DVD - USB stick, different burning options, USB-preps etc... i download - Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit Mini ISO - to see if i am able to get Kali Linux installed on my stationary computer.

Everything seems perfect , the installstion alternatives pops up, and the fun begins.

1st try: i don't modify the list that appears
    result - Failure : installing the system

2nd try: i remove the SSH server option
    resukt - Failure: installing the system

3rd try: removing the pen-test-pack
    result - installation proceeds uninterrupted

...in a logic sense, this point to that the pen-test-pack has som kind of bug or something...or?

Anyway, is there an option to install the - pen-test-pack - afterwords or do i have to install the tools one by one?

I can confirm tomjen's experience - every other ISO failed, but using the mini ISO worked as long as I unselected the pen test tools. I am running Virtualbox 4.3.6 and Kali 1.0.6.

I had the same problem on my desktop i fixed it by creating a new live usb with win32disk imager and using the non gui install option worked fine after that.
    Smile while you can for in the future there my be nothing to smile about.
    申し訳ありませんが、これは翻訳することができませんでした。

I had the same problem on my desktop i fixed it by creating a new live usb with win32disk imager and using the non gui install option worked fine after that.
    ...meaning that you did a clean install, right?

But is there any chance to just install the pen-test-pac without doing a clean install ?

becouse

Quote Originally Posted by blackMORE View Post
    Got the same error last night with Kali 1.0.4 64-bit. Re-downloading .iso file. I've had the same drama with Kali 1.0.1 and had to download the image twice.

Also, none of the conventional USB boot method including the one detailed in Kali docs worked. Only way I could install Kali is by burning the Image into a DVD. Interesting ...
    There is a work around for the usb to work, it took me few tries and pulling my hair out ! What I did was...

=>SOlved by; get into windows xp or 7 or 8 and format the usb and make sure its fat32
    then download Win32 Disk Imager at https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer
    use that to put the kali iso on it and reboot after from usb

It works with the steps i mentioned as other steps using linux or other imagers never got my kali to boot
    from the usb ;/

good luck!

Hello,
    I was gonna try to install Kali with Windows 7 , I had an empty space for Kali , a space of 15 GB and I formated the empty space with Windows and Kali detected the empty space Guided-use the largest continuous free space i complete all steps and when installing the system it stops about 70% or 80% and an error message appears , step failed : installing the system
    I was trying to install Kali 32 bit from a DVD and I used Graphical install and I tried installing 3 times and I installed Kali Linux on my PC but choosed Guided-use entire disk , and installation was succefull
    Thank you very much
    SOlved by; don't use the graphical installer, it never works ;/
    Took me few tries to figure out the graphical installer option is a fail itself lol
    Last edited by cjtron; 2014-02-04 at 20:26. Reason: messed up

Sillyness. All of this points to corrupt something somewhere, mismatched sha1 numbers and all. all the rtfm comments on the planet wont fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtron View Post
    Took me few tries to figure out the graphical installer option is a fail itself lol
    Confirmed that this worked for me, after several different attempts to install that all failed. Tried the various differing partition schemes, thinking it was related, but in the end it seems to be some sort of an issue with the graphical installer.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtron View Post
    Confirmed for me as well. Tried 4 times with slightly different settings thinking it was failing because the way I was partitioning, but alas, I was using the graphical installer. I switched to the regular installer and it installed perfectly.

Hello,
    Thank you very much
    Had the same problem, checked the logs - out of space. 16GB VM disk was not enough. Expanded disk to 32 and it installed fine...

http://s1.postimg.org/a8vw1zfhb/Untitled.png
    u mean this? i have this problem how to fix it?

The graphical installer worked flawlessly for me at first try! Been lucky I guess

your system do not support more partitions.so you just have to make two partition 1./root and 2. swap....use manual installation ...it will work

I went through all this while trying to install it along with Windows 8.... I resolved one issue and next time had to face another.... Finally I found that linux installation along with windows is troublesome... So finally I opted for a virtual machine ....Here I tried windows 8 inbuilt hyper V but finally the installation went smoothly on Oracle's VirtualBox and I am using it successfully without any trouble... If u want to understand installing and configuring kali linux on Virtual Box u may visit this tutorial http://www.knotrick.com/preparing-ha...on-virtualbox/ ... Hope this ends your search...

for anyone using a USB.. remember the OS is near 3gigs, your USB is getting hot. I just put my computer over my AC vent and it cured all my issues.

i really nedd help with this, mine gives the error at 8%, i've tried everything and nothing work. here is the thing i know that the iso/ dvd is good cause it installs perfectly on a virtual box, but when i try to install it on the hard drive it have problems. PLEASE HELP!

The problem is the disk size. I tested with kali-linux-1.0.5-amd64.iso and kali-linux-1.0.9a-i386.iso. Both failed with no error log in VirtualBox. Just saying 'error system install'. Default disk size is 8 gb in VirtualBox. You need to increase it, I set to 16 gb and then installation goes without errors.

Quote Originally Posted by alfredleo View Post
    The problem is the disk size. I tested with kali-linux-1.0.5-amd64.iso and kali-linux-1.0.9a-i386.iso. Both failed with no error log in VirtualBox. Just saying 'error system install'. Default disk size is 8 gb in VirtualBox. You need to increase it, I set to 16 gb and then installation goes without errors.
    This didn't work for me. I had 100 GB set aside on a virtual disk (VMPlayer, but I have also seen this issue with VirtualBox) and still saw this issue. When using LVM and placing /home, etc. on separate partitions, it looks like Kali wants to use more disk space than is available, so when it reaches the maximum space allotted to the VM, the installation fails. This happens whether I use the graphical installer or not. The only way I can install is if I install everything onto a single partition, or if I manually size the partitions myself. Haven't seen this issue on any other distro (CentOS 7, RedHat 7, Ubuntu 14.04, Debian 8). I'm going to try to shut down the VM and adjust the file size to 107.2 GB (the current total size Kali wants to use is 107.1 GB) to see if this resolves the issue, but I expect Kali to just resize itself again to use too much space.

Folks, I have been noticing an issue with this as well. Whether I use VirtualBox, Kali Linux 64 bit either using the iso download or via torrent, and using Kali Linux 64 bit mini ISO. using the non-graphical install, when booting it up, first off it fails to mount
    mount: mounting /dev/sda on /media failed: Invalid argument
    umount: can't umount /media: Invalid argument
    once it gives that, it then takes you through the process of installing the system, copying data to disk, and then it fails at random spots percent-wise. (8%, 12%, 26% and most recently 70%) I re-downloaded the isos 2 times for each and confirmed the SHA1Sum is correct and that it downloaded the isos successfully without any interruptions. (kali-linux-2.0-amd64.iso and kali-linux-light-2.0-amd64.iso)

The 2 things I did on my virtualbox in order to get it to work were as follows:
    before starting the virtualbox, i increased the disk size from 8GB to about 20GBs and I also enabled 2 processors (which is supported by my laptop). This allowed the installation to go smoothly. I didnt have the 2 processors selected before nor did I have more than 8GBs of disk space. Hopefully this helps. On a side note, I loaded it as a virtualmachine on Ubuntu 14 LTS

as i was clicking on post reply the browser crashed so if this is already in here I apologize in advance

Folks, I have been noticing an issue with this as well. Whether I use VirtualBox, Kali Linux 64 bit either using the iso download or via torrent, and using Kali Linux 64 bit mini ISO. using the non-graphical install, when booting it up, first off it fails to mount
    umount: can't umount /media: Invalid argument
    once it gives that, it then takes you through the process of installing the system, copying data to disk, and then it fails at random spots percent-wise. (8%, 12%, 26% and most recently 70%) I re-downloaded the isos 2 times for each and confirmed the SHA1Sum is correct and that it downloaded the isos successfully without any interruptions. (kali-linux-2.0-amd64.iso and kali-linux-light-2.0-amd64.iso)

The 2 things I did on my virtualbox in order to get it to work were as follows:
    before starting the virtualbox, i increased the disk size from 8GB to about 20GBs and I also enabled 2 processors (which is supported by my laptop). This allowed the installation to go smoothly. I didnt have the 2 processors selected before nor did I have more than 8GBs of disk space. Hopefully this helps. On a side note, I loaded it as a virtualmachine on Ubuntu 14 LTS

i found solutions for this problem , my RAM is problem ,i have tow RAM in motherboard and of them corrupted
    i removed from motherboard and it BOOM it worked and installation completed very well ,
    guys please check ram storage this may help to fix this problem ...

Smile

Hi

Profile: Very newbie on hacking and "newbie" linux ( I have installed several Linux versions on laptops)

Installing Kali 2016.1 on Virtual Box 5 latest version Windows 10 on a N750 JK Asus Laptop

I had this issue also till I created a VDI of 45 GB and Graphical Install Kali on 1 partition
    Then I was curious about LVM so I created a new VM and played around with LVM till I finally got it works
    Here are my disks setting : 4 fixed 8 GB VDIs and 1 dynamically 32 GB VDI and see attachment
    As you can see i.e. my root partition is accross several disks (LVM option) I do not know the performance impact
    but for creating wordlist with crunch adding diskspace is very easy ..... (limited to your laptop disk ....)

For this I use the normal install, it should also work with the Graphical Install. Amending LVM scheme I used Kali Live (option 1)
    I found that the rescue iso's have very horrorble screen resolution till I figured out that I could used Kali Live.

Br,
    Attached Files Attached Files

you're not so blind after all

just increase the space to the minimum 30 GB