Thread: 32 bit or 64 bit OS?

32 bit or 64 bit OS?

Hey guys, so I have been testing installation on a compuer I got for free. It's a Dell Inspiron 1545, I think it's a 64 bit only because I installed the 64 bit OS and it runs fine. The only problem I have come across is when using Wash it is not detecting anything and Reaver isn't working as well but that it on both the 32 bit and 64 bit V 1.0.4 of Kali. They both work on the 1.0.3 (Wash and Reaver) so it looks like I will be down grading to 1.0.3 so I can use those tools. So what I want to know is why do some people use a 32 bit on a 64 bit system? Does it run faster then a 64 bit on a PC that can barley run a 64 bit OS?

2. It's mainly a compatibility issue for myself, as I find in 32 bit, more often I have less problems with several programs. However, with 64bit, you also have some programs that can make good use of the architecture for increased speed. In my experience, I don't really notice much of a decrease in speed for most things, and I'm sure everyday computing it doesn't really matter, however I haven't found the need to password crack or utilize 64bit in areas that 32bit would suffice. I can say eventually I would switch to 64bit, once I find compatibility issues across the board are no longer an issue.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Charonsecurity, thanks that makes sense. I was just wanting to know because it seems like I'm having less problems with the 32 bit when running airodump-ng, wash, and reaver. Do you know why there are problems with the version of Kali with the same version of tools ( for example wash 1.4 works on old version of Kali but not 1.0.4)

Hi Rage,

I started with 32 bit and then upgraded to 64 bit. So can say that if you select 64 bit, then definitely make it dual architecture. The con's of 64 bit at the moment outweigh the benefits on the drivers side.

How come?

Brother printer drivers for Linux are only in 32 bit. It generated errors on 64 bit ... luckily there is a way to have both architectures functioning... otherwise I'd have no printer.
    The install notes on the forum for running Word 2007 on Kali will show how to install both architectures, it's quite easy to do.

I would possibly gauged the answer by how much RAM you have in this free laptop of yours.
    if it's 4 or less, then go for 32 bit, and forget using 64 bit.
    If you opt for 64bit - then you must run Both 32bit AND 64 bit or you'll hit too many disadvantages.

Hope that helps.

Charonsecurity, thanks that makes sense. I was just wanting to know because it seems like I'm having less problems with the 32 bit when running airodump-ng, wash, and reaver. Do you know why there are problems with the version of Kali with the same version of tools ( for example wash 1.4 works on old version of Kali but not 1.0.4)

uwnthesis that helps a lot to. I'm just going to go with the 32 bit, the computer is older and ran 32 bit fine with live boot.