Thread: Username PW login failure to Kali Linux

Question Username PW login failure to Kali Linux

My username and password isn't working to log into Kali Linux, I am using the login as my Kali Linux username they had me choose in installation and password they had me choose, it doesn't work..it doesn't even type a password, can someone help please! Thanks!!

Try to login as root user ? and still you are unable to login kindly reset your root password how to reset root passoword than add an user click here

I assume you mean you're entering the password you created BEFORE installation. After you actually install the OS, the default username/password will reset. User should be "root" and password should be "toor" or blank. To change the password I believe you go into terminal and type passwd and then follow the steps.

Quote Originally Posted by soxrok2212 View Post
    I assume you mean you're entering the password you created BEFORE installation. After you actually install the OS, the default username/password will reset. User should be "root" and password should be "toor" or blank. To change the password I believe you go into terminal and type passwd and then follow the steps.
    use the username root and the password is the one that you entered when installing kali...

Lightbulb very confusing and several answers posted

Quote Originally Posted by pabro View Post
    use the username root and the password is the one that you entered when installing kali...
    This is the correct answer in the thread. I have tried every possible thing over past 30 minutes. Finally I tried root for UN and PW created during setup process. Every guide I used had many contradicting info, or incorrect/missed steps resulting ultimately in Linux not being useable. However if you are new to this and have been experiencing as many issues and troubles as I have, then join a forum like this one and start participating. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiefchiefdank View Post
    This is the correct answer in the thread. I have tried every possible thing over past 30 minutes. Finally I tried root for UN and PW created during setup process. Every guide I used had many contradicting info, or incorrect/missed steps resulting ultimately in Linux not being useable. However if you are new to this and have been experiencing as many issues and troubles as I have, then join a forum like this one and start participating. :-)
    same here. thanks for the answer to such a simple question. having come from Windows, i didn't know to login as ROOT first.

Well, yes. Root is the default username to login into Kali.
    Many of us may have got so used to our username, even in Ubuntu. The root user is not generally known. It is mysteriously the most attractive username in the world of Linux. <3

in the beginning, it made worried that I don't know what to enter for the username and the password
    thank you for the information...

The reason root is the username is because they run Debian as root, similar to windows administrator, so to give you a more custom Kali approach.