Thread: Kali 1.0.4 Hangs During VM Install

Question Kali 1.0.4 Hangs During VM Install

I searched and seen a couple others running into the same issue but no real answer for a solution yet. I'm using VMware Fusion for a MAC and VMware Workstation on a Windows machine. Both drives are encrypted to begin with, and I have tried both an encrypted and unencrypted installation to create a VM. It goes through just fine until it begins to install the files, then hangs randomly between 1% - 15% but only hit close to 15% once. I have checked the SHA1 sums (see below) and the ISO is fine.

bb14f4e1fc0656a14615e40d727f6c49e8202d38 kali-linux-1.0.4-amd64.iso <-- Taken from: http://archive-5.kali.org/kali-images/SHA1SUMS

SHA1(kali-linux-1.0.4-amd64.iso)= bb14f4e1fc0656a14615e40d727f6c49e8202d38 <-- Taken from my MAC

I have numerous VMs ranging from just about every Windows version, and just about ever variant of linux to include native Debian and Ubuntu. None of these machines hung during install nor do they hang during operation.

I know that Kali has a VM already established, but I need to do the installation for another purpose so I have to show the full install process.

Suggestions?

This is what I've figured out so far...

Creating a virtual machine using Pentoo and BackBox works fine no issues. 32Bit and 64Bit Kali both result in the same hang ups. Using the pre-made virtual machine of the 32Bit Kali image the VM will boot and operate just fine without issues. I recreated the Kali VM again and still resulted in the issues. I manipulated the the setting in the pre-made VM with Gnome in an attempt to see if it was a setting which caused the hang up, but that resulted in no failures on boot or operation.

I thought it might be trying to pull down updates, patches, etc during the installation of the files so I tried it on three different internet connections, with the forth being a direct connection to the cable modem to bypass the firewall to see if the proxies were causing the issues. Still no luck...

Something is going on during the install process thats not present once the VM is created, just need to figure out what...

Suggestions?