Thread: Airodump, fixed channel mon0 -1

Airodump, fixed channel mon0 -1

Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 fixed channel mon0 -1?

I am not new with aircrack but i bought this Samsung Series 7 Chronos and installed Kali on it. But when i start sniffing with airodump it always says that mon0 interface is at -1 channel.

I tried the compat-driver after applying on next reboot i got this black screen of death, any help for making running Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 with aircrack?

Thank you.

(Sorry for my bad english, i'm trying my best, it's not my first language)

"The more quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."

Did you try to fix your own channel with iwconfig ?

Code:
    sudo iwconfig channel 5
    Also, try a little mac-address reset :

Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    sudo ifconfing hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up

Make sure you're not connected to a network while running airodump.

You could also try getting the latest version of Aircrack-ng from the subversion repository and use the option --ignore-negative-one.
    Last edited by rastamouse; 2013-09-08 at 14:29. Reason: poor spellings :)

airodump-ng --ignore-negative-one

this might help, I've heard of alot of people getting this error, It is a known bug. It might be your wireless card.

try this to test injection:
    aireplay-ng --test mon0

Good Luck

Finally it works!. I updated my wireless card drivers with the ones from http://drvbp1.linux-foundation.org/~...tml/backports/ . Also, y used the --ignore-negative-one option and it seems everythings ok now.

Thank you all for your answers!

Quote Originally Posted by SMS90 View Post
    Finally it works!. I updated my wireless card drivers with the ones from http://drvbp1.linux-foundation.org/~...tml/backports/ . Also, y used the --ignore-negative-one option and it seems everythings ok now.

Thank you all for your answers!
    I will be very interested as I have the same model as you by a little explanation of what you have done to update wireless car drivers with backports and which version of backports, have you used?

Thanks

I downloaded the latest drivers from backports: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...-rc3-1.tar.bz2 . Then i extracted the files and followed the instructions inside to install them. After that airodump-ng still shows the -1 channel value, however by using --ignore-negative-one option it seems that now works just fine.
    Furthermore, and to make sure everything was good, i tested it with gerix wifi cracker. Before backports driver installation gerix did not work correctly, but after this it managed to work well. At the end i could solve my main issue (the one i did not mention in the main post): capture my wireless network handshake (maybe it captured it or maybe not, anyway i couln't notice because the -1 channel value).

Sorry if i wasn't clear enough, i'm still practicing my english . Hope this can be useful in someway to you.

And, another thing. Since you have the same laptop model as me, i wonder if you have managed pyrit to detect your gpu using list_cores command? Apparently, for some weird reason, Pyrit, and Oclhashcat can't detect my gpu drivers (Radeon HD 8770). Also, when i use aticonfig command i get: "aticonfig no supported adapters detected". Do you know how to solve this issue?
    Last edited by SMS90; 2013-09-11 at 18:04.

The following post fixed it for me: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...rror-1-channel

Reposting details here, to make it easier to find for people having the same issue. (Google turns up loads of questions, few solutions.)

Basically, when you start up airmon-ng, you might see something like this:

Code:
    Found 3 processes that could cause trouble.
    If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after
    a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!
    -e
    PID     Name
    2796    NetworkManager
    2846    dhclient
    2352    wpa_supplicant
    You will see the same thing by executing airmon-ng check. I was hesitant to kill those processes, thinking that might cause some other issues, but I'm working in a VM, so in the end, I just went for it, using the airmon-ng check kill command:

Code:
    root@kali:~# airmon-ng check kill

(same as above, then...)
    Killing all those processes...
    That fixed my problem with the interface being locked to channel -1, and so far, everything is working fine!