Thread: Metasploit starting issue

Metasploit starting issue

Greeting everyone, I'm new Kali linux and Metasploit, and every time I try to access the msf3 database, I get the following error?
    Code:
    msf > db_connect msf3:[email protected]/metasploit3
    [-] Error while running command db_connect: Failed to connect to the database: PG::Error: ERROR:  permission denied to create database
    : CREATE DATABASE "metasploit3" ENCODING = 'utf8'

Call stack:
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/command_dispatcher/db.rb:1725:in `db_connect_postgresql'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/command_dispatcher/db.rb:1565:in `cmd_db_connect'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/rex/ui/text/dispatcher_shell.rb:427:in `run_command'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/rex/ui/text/dispatcher_shell.rb:389:in `block in run_single'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/rex/ui/text/dispatcher_shell.rb:383:in `each'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/rex/ui/text/dispatcher_shell.rb:383:in `run_single'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/rex/ui/text/shell.rb:200:in `run'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/msfconsole:169:in `<main>'
    What do I have to do so I can connect to the database?

Have you started up the two services first?
    Code:
    service postgresql start
    service metasploit start
    Source & more information: Starting Metasploit Framework

http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...tarting-issue&
    Then run metasploit and type
    db_status
    To check if you're connected
    Last edited by Lordx19; 2013-09-04 at 11:42. Reason: Adding

Quote Originally Posted by Lordx19 View Post
    http://forums.kali.org/showthread.ph...tarting-issue&
    Then run metasploit and type
    db_status
    To check if you're connected
    I'm now connected, but I still can't login without getting the same and I still can't acces the msf3 database. I ran
    service postgresql start, service metasploit start and the went to application → System Service → Metasploit → community/pro start and still got the same output:
    Code:
    msf > db_connect msf3:[email protected]/metasploit3
    [-] Error while running command db_connect: Failed to connect to the database: PG::Error: ERROR:  permission denied to create database
    : CREATE DATABASE "metasploit3" ENCODING = 'utf8'

Call stack:
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/command_dispatcher/db.rb:1725:in `db_connect_postgresql'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/command_dispatcher/db.rb:1565:in `cmd_db_connect'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/rex/ui/text/dispatcher_shell.rb:427:in `run_command'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/rex/ui/text/dispatcher_shell.rb:389:in `block in run_single'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/rex/ui/text/dispatcher_shell.rb:383:in `run_single'
    msf > db_status[*] postgresql connected to msf3
    What do I do about it?

I see a permission denied error. Not sure what to do for that. I never got that. I couldn't get rid of the error either so I purged metasploit, once it was purged I reinstalled it. Before I even opened metasploit I ran both services. Afterwards I added them to post.d like I said earlier. Then finally open metasploit and check the data base

i got this error
    Code:
    # msfconsole -q
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/db.rb:22:in `require': cannot load such file -- packetfu (LoadError)
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/db.rb:22:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/db_manager.rb:5:in `require'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/db_manager.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/framework.rb:69:in `require'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/framework.rb:69:in `<class:Framework>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/framework.rb:13:in `<module:Msf>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/framework.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core.rb:34:in `require'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core.rb:34:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/driver.rb:2:in `require'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/driver.rb:2:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console.rb:11:in `require'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console.rb:11:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui.rb:11:in `require'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui.rb:11:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/msfconsole:157:in `require'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/msfconsole:157:in `<main>'

i got this error
    Code:
    # msfconsole -q
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/db.rb:22:in `require': cannot load such file -- packetfu (LoadError)
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/db_manager.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/framework.rb:69:in `<class:Framework>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/framework.rb:13:in `<module:Msf>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/core/framework.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/driver.rb:2:in `<top (required)>'
    	from /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console.rb:11:in `<top (required)>'

Okay, I'll give this a shot, but I have a few questions. Wha's the absolute path to post.d in this case, and foremostly, I'm not quite that experienced with editing configuration files and all that, so could you show me how post.d should look, and what lines must be pasted in, thanks a lot?

sorry it's not post.d, I wasn't at my computer when I wrote that. It's rc.d
    You don't need to edit any config file.
    you just open a terminal and type these 2 lines
    service postgresql start

service metasploit start

afterwards, open metasploit and run db_status
    it should say connected to postgresql

those 2 commands earlier start the services. You can make it so they ran automatically at startup by typing

after you do those steps and confirm it's connected to a db run

update-rc.d postgresql enable

update-rc.d metasploit enable

that will make them run at start up

if that does not work

uninstall metasploit and reinstall it

on a fresh install DO NOT RUN METASPLOIT

run all of those steps first before opening it

that's what I had to do

let me know how it goes

it could of had a bad install, which is what happened to me. The purge and fresh install worked, seeing how it creates a whole new db

http://docs.kali.org/general-use/sta...mework-in-kali

K, so I did everything you said, I ran apt-get remove --purge, apt-get install, then service postgresql start && service metasploit start, and got a new error while attempting to log in:
    Code:
    msf > db_connect msf3:[email protected]:1500/metasploit3
    [-] Error while running command db_connect: Failed to connect to the database: could not connect to server: Connection timed out
    	Is the server running on host "192.168.0.2" and accepting
    	TCP/IP connections on port 1500?

Call stack:
    What's my next step?
    Last edited by Quizmaster; 2013-09-07 at 08:58.

Quote Originally Posted by rep0 View Post
    i got this error
    Code:
    # msfconsole -q
    Also get this error since I just updated, what's the go? was working fine before, just installed the latest update after it popped up saying there were updates, now I get this when I try and start msfconsole

What are you logging into?all you have to do is run those commands and then run metasploit. Then run db_status. On a fresh install, when starting the services, you should have seen it building a database.

13. I have same problem too.

you just open a terminal and type these 2 lines
    service postgresql start

service metasploit start

afterwards, open metasploit and run db_status
    it should say connected to postgresql

those 2 commands earlier start the services. You can make it so they ran automatically at startup by typing

after you do those steps and confirm it's connected to a db run

update-rc.d postgresql enable

update-rc.d metasploit enable

that will make them run at start up

if that does not work

uninstall metasploit and reinstall it

on a fresh install DO NOT RUN METASPLOIT

run all of those steps first before opening it

that's what I had to do

Try to update with :
    msfupdate

The above (LORDx19) doesn't work, still getting Op's errror and it's 2/26/2014!

msf > db_connect postgres:[email protected]/msfbook
    [-] Error while running command db_connect: Failed to connect to the database: PG::InvalidParameterValue: ERROR: new encoding (UTF8) is incompatible with the encoding of the template database (SQL_ASCII)
    HINT: Use the same encoding as in the template database, or use template0 as template.
    : CREATE DATABASE "msfbook" ENCODING = 'utf8'

Call stack:
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/command_dispatcher/db.rb:1758:in `db_connect_postgresql'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/command_dispatcher/db.rb:1598:in `cmd_db_connect'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/msfconsole:148:in `<main>'
    msf > Interrupt: use the 'exit' command to quit
    msf > db_status[*] postgresql connected to postgres
    [-] Error while running command db_connect: Failed to connect to the database: PG::InvalidParameterValue: ERROR: new encoding (UTF8) is incompatible with the encoding of the template database (SQL_ASCII)
    HINT: Use the same encoding as in the template database, or use template0 as template.

Call stack:
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/command_dispatcher/db.rb:1758:in `db_connect_postgresql'
    /opt/metasploit/apps/pro/msf3/lib/msf/ui/console/command_dispatcher/db.rb:1598:in `cmd_db_connect'

linux fully updated: Linux version 3.12-kali1-686-pae ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.7.2 (Debian 4.7.2-5) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2kali1 (2014-01-06)

try going to
    vim /opt/metasploit/properties.ini

view the name of the database
    db_connect <userindb>:<passwordindb>@localhost:5432<nameofdbi nproperties>

Quote Originally Posted by kalig View Post
    The above (LORDx19) doesn't work, still getting Op's errror and it's 2/26/2014!

Call stack:
    msf > db_status[*] postgresql connected to postgres

Call stack:

linux fully updated: Linux version 3.12-kali1-686-pae ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.7.2 (Debian 4.7.2-5) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2kali1 (2014-01-06)