Thread: Non-Stop Black Screen and a loading cursor on Bootup

Non-Stop Black Screen and a loading cursor on Bootup

Hi there, been having this annoying problem since yesterday on my laptop, I ran Kali yesterday morning without any problems then come midday, when I boot it, it arrives at the point where it's supposed to load the GUI but only the cursor is showing loading on a black screen and it just keeps on loading non-stop.
    I've tried looking for solutions to this problem but none of the suggestions work and many forums where this issue is posted have no answers can someone please help me.

The only way I've been able to use Kali Linux is just through the CLI

Quote Originally Posted by Njabulo View Post
    Hi there, been having this annoying problem since yesterday on my laptop, I ran Kali yesterday morning without any problems then come midday, when I boot it, it arrives at the point where it's supposed to load the GUI but only the cursor is showing loading on a black screen and it just keeps on loading non-stop.
    I've tried looking for solutions to this problem but none of the suggestions work and many forums where this issue is posted have no answers can someone please help me.

The only way I've been able to use Kali Linux is just through the CLI
    Same issue here dude I 've got a 2 GPU Laptop and nobody knows the solution
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
    Ellen Parr

Quote Originally Posted by Njabulo View Post
    That just means you aren't searching enough.
    Delete xorg.conf and/or re-install and/or reconfigure graphics drivers. There's numerous discussion of similar issues in this forum and in Google.

Quote Originally Posted by blackMORE View Post
    That just means you aren't searching enough.
    Delete xorg.conf and/or re-install and/or reconfigure graphics drivers. There's numerous discussion of similar issues in this forum and in Google.
    I haven't seen anyone who succeeded in getting Nvidia Gpu work while there's 2 Gpu on PC . There are discussion , but no solutions though.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.
    Ellen Parr

kali Black Screen

Hello,

When I open Kali in Virtual Box I get a black screen. I may have inadvertently created the problem as I repeatedly started Kali in an effort to discover a forgotten password. Hope someone can help. I have read suggestions that this is due to my graphics driver. I am using an ATI Radeon HD 4550 which is up to date. I added the word "splash" as advised by someone at the end of the line in the kernal followed by "[space]radeon.modeset=0". I was told this would not be damaging. There was no change after rebooting. Did I do good? "The operation was a success but the patient died?"

Best wishes,

Roxie2
    Last edited by Roxie2; 2013-09-20 at 21:44. Reason: added information

Hi Blackmore,

I am having the "black screen" problem also. Have tried a couple of proposed solutions without success. I have checked graphics drivers and they are up to date. What is the file "xorg.conf"? What will be the effect if I delete it? Where is the file? Oh yes, how do I stop the opening screen from scrolling when Kali is loading?

Please be patient. I need your help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roxie2 View Post
    Hi Blackmore,

I am having the "black screen" problem also. Have tried a couple of proposed solutions without success. I have checked graphics drivers and they are up to date. What is the file "xorg.conf"? What will be the effect if I delete it? Where is the file? Oh yes, how do I stop the opening screen from scrolling when Kali is loading?

Please be patient. I need your help.

Thanks
    From Wikipedia "xorg.conf is a file used for configuring the X.Org Server. While typically located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf."

Most black screens in Kali Linux with blinking cursor issue is due to X settings being incorrect. By deleting xorg.conf file and rebooting PC will allow your system to generate a new or load default X settings. That means you'll be able to login and start troubleshooting in X.

Don't know what you mean by "stop opening screen from scrolling"!

If you're not too sure, I would suggest to load Ubuntu or Mint (those are more widely supported by hardware vendors and better community support for new users) and compare settings with Kali. Though there's some differences, but you will quickly get used to it and be able to port solutions to Kali. I would recommend to use VM when testing to avoid data loss.

Hope this helps in someway.

I was facing the same issue and it still does not work completely. But there's a little progress! I have a Dell Precision mobile workstation with 2 GPU's, the integrated Intel and a Quadro 4000M. The notebook itself has its display and an HDMI output where I usually have a Samsung flat screen connected.

After installing the Nvidia drivers and runnning nvidia-xconfig, X resp. GDM3 didn't start up at all, the log showed the error NO DEVICES FOUND. So I added the line

BusId "PCI:1:0:0"

to the Device section in my Xorg.conf. After that, GDM3 seemed to start up, but my notebook only showed the blinking cursor on a blank screen, as mentioned above. But X basically runs. When I power on my Samsung monitor and start GDM3, I do get Gnome up and running on the external monitor when pressing Ctrl-Alt-F7. I opened up the Nvidia settings to make sure that I was actually running Gnome with the Nvidia driver, and it was/is the case, but only on the external screen. Still better than nothing!

The problem is that I now try to make Gnome appear on the notebook's display as well. I think it must work somehow, because it the driver and X generally work together, so I don't think that the other GPU causes any trouble. I somehow have the feeling that I just need some more tweaking in the Xorg.conf. Any help with that is greatly appreciated!

Thank you blackMore,

The opening screen I refer to is the boot up screen which scrolls too quickly to read. How do I pause that scrolling? Your answer gave me a lot to chew on and I will do so. Thanks again.

Roxie2
    Last edited by Roxie2; 2013-09-26 at 14:07. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Roxie2 View Post
    Thank you blackMore,

The opening screen I refer to is the boot up screen which scrolls too quickly to read. How do I pause that scrolling? Your answer gave me a lot to chew on and I will do so. Thanks again.

Roxie2
    Quite a few solutions are out there:

Ctrl+S to Stop
    CTrl+Q to Resume
    works for me.

Alternatively you can also try Scroll Lock button in a Desktop. Other suggested solutions are Pause/Break combination. (I can't test those as my laptop doesn't have those keys).

Once you're logged in, 'dmesg | less' in Terminal will show you the outputs you're after. Another GUI alternate is to use System Log viewer (again I'm using KDE so names might be slightly off) and look for dmesg logs by date/time. Hope that helps.

Thank you blackMore. You have been very helpful and patient.

Roxie2

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by blackMORE View Post
    From Wikipedia "xorg.conf is a file used for configuring the X.Org Server. While typically located in /etc/X11/xorg.conf."

Most black screens in Kali Linux with blinking cursor issue is due to X settings being incorrect. By deleting xorg.conf file and rebooting PC will allow your system to generate a new or load default X settings. That means you'll be able to login and start troubleshooting in X.

Don't know what you mean by "stop opening screen from scrolling"!

If you're not too sure, I would suggest to load Ubuntu or Mint (those are more widely supported by hardware vendors and better community support for new users) and compare settings with Kali. Though there's some differences, but you will quickly get used to it and be able to port solutions to Kali. I would recommend to use VM when testing to avoid data loss.

Hope this helps in someway.
    I try looking for a xorg.conf file, but I couldn't find it. When I boot, it posts like a copyright disclaimer, and then a blank cursor, then it just freezes there.