Thread: Reaver + Airodump-ng

Reaver + Airodump-ng

I'm having one particular issue using Reaver

Everything is working perfectly, except for one thing.

I start using Reaver, it starts testing pins, everything is working perfectly. After a while, the router hops to another channel, and Reaver gives me this warning
    Code:
    Sending EAPOL START request
    WARNING: Receive timeout occurred
    And it loops forever. The reason for this is because Reaver can't associate with the network, because the network is now on a different channel.
    Reaver has a feature to scan different channels for the BSSID or ESSID, but only does so in the beginning to find the network its looking for. This is a problem. I wish there was a way to set Reaver to scan the channels again after X amount of timeouts. This would solve the problem

I have a workaround for this. I use airodump-ng on the same interface as Reaver is using, and makes airodump-ng lock on to the target. Now Reaver will constantly be associated with the network.
    But there's a problem here as well. After airodump-ng finds the network on a specific channel, it will still continue hopping through the channels constantly searching - making nearly 90% of Reaver's attack miss the target, because airodump-ng is using the same same interface and is constantly switching its channels. The solution here would also give airodump-ng a very similar feature, which is to stop searching through all the channels when it found the network, and start searching again when it loses connection to the network.

I might have missed something. I looked through both programs carefully, and couldn't find any useful commands to this.
    So I was wondering if any of you might recommend a program that is equal to airodump-ng, but STOPS searching through channels when it finds the network, and would rather search again when it loses it

airodump stops searching when you want a channel by typing airodump-ng --bssid (bssid here) -c (channel here) mon0 then run reaver. It won't hop around on any more channels since you specified a channel for it to stay on

Yes. But then the router hops to a different channel 10 minutes later - then what? I have to manually change the channel. E.g constantly staying around the computer

It's still a huge problem. In order to have it cracking, I have to be near the computer all the time, constantly watching it.

Therefore, I ask if there's another scanner that scans for the target, once the target has been found, it will stop scanning other channels until it loses the target again.

I'm just confirming that I have no problem with airodump and reaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordx19 View Post
    I'm just confirming that I have no problem with airodump and reaver.
    What options are you using with Reaver? Can you please paste the full command you use for starting Reaver.

Also, you're saying you have no issues using Reaver. It sounds like your router isn't changing channels after a while. Can you confirm that?

Nothing is changing channels. I've used reaver for hours with only a lockout message. No errors or anything. I just use reaver -i mon0 -b bssid here -vv

Quote Originally Posted by Lordx19 View Post
    Nothing is changing channels. I've used reaver for hours with only a lockout message. No errors or anything. I just use reaver -i mon0 -b bssid here -vv
    Yeah, that's kinda the problem here. Your router might not be switching channels occasionally, but mine is. And the reason for that is because of other interfering networks in the area.
    Since your router isn't changing channels like mine, you don't have this problem.

Ahhh yeah.

You could also just specify the channel you want reaver to attack.... ex: reaver -i mon0 -c X -b XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -vv -a -N -d 0 --dh-small

Quote Originally Posted by soxrok2212 View Post
    You could also just specify the channel you want reaver to attack.... ex: reaver -i mon0 -c X -b XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX -vv -a -N -d 0 --dh-small
    Forgot to mention... if you just specify the bssid of the network, it should automatically follow the channel that the bssid is on (meaning you wont need the -c X option). Just make sure you have a good signal strength so it doesn't lose connection. If you provide your command we could help you better...