Thread: ifconfig = lo

ifconfig = lo

I recently purchased a new laptop -a huge upgrade I might add- and was excited to install Kali Linux on the hard drive. So, I grabbed my USB, booted into Kali and was about to begin installation, but decided to test it out in the new laptop just to be sure they are compatible. To my surprise, ifconfig only shows lo. It doesn't recognize my wireless card, or even my USB Alfa. I was then about to shut it down, reboot into something else and post this message, but before I could, Kali froze and I had to perform a hard reset. This USB has worked fine in several laptops, so I doubt the USB is the problem.

What do you guys think?

The laptop is GS70 MSI

thanks...

Did you use unetbootin to download kali ?

No, I used dd if= in Ubuntu

The USB has worked fine in literally five different computers of various makes and ages.

Does the system recognize any other kind of USB device?
    Do you get something with?
    Code:
    lsusb

It's ironic you ask that, because I had just tried that minutes ago while booted into Kali from a live CD, this time a 32 bit OS disk, and was about to return with some news. When I entered that command, it recognized my mouse and my alfa, so I was COOL! lets do an ifconfig and see if it's working; and I recieved the same results; lo... nothing but lo. So I entered the lsusb command again and it no longer recognized my alfa, although it had just done so. I unplugged the usb and plugged it back in and entered the lsusb command... nothing... I unplugged it and then plugged it back in, this time into another usb port and nothing... I unplugged my mouse and plugged it back... lsusb command... nothing! Now the mouse isn't recognized! I simply don't get it. The disk I booted from is the same disk I used in my other computer, and it worked fine. This same disk also helped me produce my first live Kali usb. I am also getting the same results from an AMD64 disk that I had used in the past on my other computer. It's so strange... The computer I have now - an MSI GE70 - is easily twice as good as what I had before! But I cannot get it to work. I really wanted to attack metasploitable with this new computer and crack some hashs with hashcat gpu, but it isn't looking good as of now : ( bummer...

By the way, I type all of this while using ubuntu, and using the same mouse and accessing the internet with my the same alfa... So clearly, it's not my computer... it must be something else.

Does anyone have any off line solutions and or suggestions. I dont know where to start... and I don't want to give up on Kali!

Try a Debian live DVD/USB instead of Ubuntu and see if you get the same results. I have had similar problems with internal network cards that were not recognized by Kali but were recognized by Ubuntu, and it was generally because Ubuntu would automatically use restricted/closed-source drivers that Debian did not include. I'm not sure if that could be a possibility with your USB ports, but it's worth a shot.

If you get the same problem in Debian, that is a good indicator you need to search for some drivers to install. Running "lspci" can help you figure out what hardware you have.

If you don't have the same problem in Debian, I would double check that you have the latest Kali ISO (1.0.5 I believe) and maybe even re-download and burn a new copy of that (and don't forget to verify checksums). If it works in Debian, it should work in Kali.
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

Try plugging them in and running dmesg?

Thank you all very much for the input. I'll give tails and kali a try and then use the dmesg command. I'll return with my findings.