Thread: Encrypted installation on hard disk easy to crack?

Question Encrypted installation on hard disk easy to crack?

Hello

I was read on another topic (i don't remember exactly) that is very easy to login without the root password on Kali linux encrypted installation on hard disk...

If it so easy to bypass login and get my files from hard disk so what is the benefit of using it?

Thank you

2. I don't know about that. The only article I have come across that describes a way to accomplish what we are asking is here:

//twopointfouristan.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/pwning-past-whole-disk-encryption/

It explains how one would be able to inject their own code on unencrypted libraries of the harddrive.

However, I find the technique to be somewhat suspect.. (I would love for someone to try this and confirm it) But a solution is also provided to use a USB to hold your boot table while encrypting Everything on the drive.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

I was read about how easy it is to reset the login password....

I am not sure if it is the same for the encrypted disk.....

But a solution is also provided to use a USB to hold your boot table while encrypting Everything on the drive.
    Link please?

I was expecting to be very very hard to anyone to get the files from an encrypted hard disk !

If you have physical access to any machine, the possibilities are endless including resetting passwords (provided the disk is not encrypted). While it is not impossible to some how bypass an encrypted disk (is the entire disk encrypred or just the users home directory?), the effort involved might not be feasible in alot of cases. If you don't reset the password in the proper manner, then you probably will loose access to the encrypted data. The original password and the encrypted data/disk share a relationship, and if the password was not reset in the proper manner, then this can break the relationship. (there could be multiple programs and processes involved in the password reset process, one program notifies and communicates with another, etc., and the communications will need to be performed in proper sequence to keep the all integrity).
    Last edited by aerokid240; 2013-09-19 at 17:10. Reason: wanted to add more information