Thread: Problem installing Kali in virtualbox

Problem installing Kali in virtualbox

Hi

I've been trying to install Kali Linux 1.0.5 32-Bit ISO in Virtualbox 4.2.18, in a Windows 2003 32 bit EE SP2 on XEON E5410 processor. I have Trackback linux installed and running flawless in this environment.

Sha1 signature of downloaded iso is correct, and installation run aparently flawless (graphic and text, I tried both). The live version boots and works fine.

I defined the virtual machine as Debian (and linux 2.6). I choosed the basic options in installation. I installed in spanish, but also tried in english language.

Virtual machine is configured with 3GB ram (the maximum in 32 bits) and 30GB virtual HD as SATA in port 0.

I have PAE/NX and VT-x ticks actived (and I tried to desactive them in every combination).

I get this error when I try to boot the installed version:

early console in decompress_kernel

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... done.
    Booting the kernel.
    [ 0.000000] tsc: Fast TSC calibration failed
    [ 1.703879] Initramfs unpacking failed: junk in compressed archive
    [ 3.003440] Kernel panic - no syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Linux Documentation/init.txt for guidance.
    [ 3.004849] Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.7-trunk-686-pae #1 Debian 3.7.2-0+kali8

Any idea?

Thanks!

Could be corrupt due to the kernel unable to find the init options. Try redownloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Could be corrupt due to the kernel unable to find the init options. Try redownloading.
    The iso sha1 signature is correct, so the image should be fine.

I used the same image to install in a XP 32 bits dual core machine and it works fine, so it must be something about the hardware or the SO....

Solved (more or less) copying the image installed in XP to the 2003 machine. It works fine.

I still wonder why I can't install, anyway.