Thread: How does GPU cracking work?

How does GPU cracking work?

Could someone explain what GPU cracking is and what hardware is needed to preform this? Thanks!

2. Here try this link:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+does+GPU+cracking+work%3F

Basically you are using your video card's processor to perform the operations necessary to "crack" or decode a hash. This is used instead of your CPU because GPU's are at better handling these operations. The better the video card, that faster you can do it.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Quote Originally Posted by charonsecurity View Post
    Here try this link:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+does+GPU+cracking+work%3F

Basically you are using your video card's processor to perform the operations necessary to "crack" or decode a hash. This is used instead of your CPU because GPU's are at better handling these operations. The better the video card, that faster you can do it.
    Oh ok. I'm guessing that I can't use my video card in VirtualBox, correct?

4. For now, yes you are correct. In Virtual Box, the video card is being virtualized, meaning its really hardware emulation. I believe though in the future some developers are working for a way to allow video cards to be utilized. Don't quote me on that though
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Quote Originally Posted by charonsecurity View Post
    For now, yes you are correct. In Virtual Box, the video card is being virtualized, meaning its really hardware emulation. I believe though in the future some developers are working for a way to allow video cards to be utilized. Don't quote me on that though
    Ok. So just out of curiosity, how fast do you think an Intel HD 4000 could churn keys? Probably not that fast compared to other NVidia models etc., correct?

Hi, im new to kali linux, just want also to ask question in regards with GPU support cracking. i have ATI Radeon HD 5670, do I need to properly install the driver just to use the GPU cracking support of oclhashcat? I'm currently using a Generic Driver for my ATI.

thank you in advance

In short: GPU has hundreads of cores, so it is better for multitasking which is important for cracking passwords. So your computer can try many passwords at once.
    http://blogs.nvidia.com/wp-content/u...63224d970c.jpg