Thread: wireless connection issues

wireless connection issues

I recently installed Kali on a Lenovo thinkpad X220 and have not been able to get Kali to recognize my wireless router. I have an old Netgear WGR614v7 and the system claims it's connected (shows the wifi bars and active status), but I cannot get it ping the router IP. I attempted to connect with an ethernet cable which only enabled me to ping the gateway, but any additional traffic beyond the router failed to go anywhere. Further steps taken with my setup include disabling MAC filtering, disabling WPA, even reseting the router to factory default settings. Nothing seems to help. I've verified that the wirelss drivers are working correctly and can successfully access other wireless APs and have been able to go online. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Try doing a 30-30-30 reset http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...et_or_30/30/30 and then try changing the channel and setting up a WPA2 password. Don't even bother using MAC filtering or hiding your SSID. It just makes it harder for yourself and doesn't stop a hacker. If that doesn't work, try running
    Code:
    iwconfig
    This will tell you if your wireless adapter is seen. If you see your adapter and still have no connections, try renewing your local ip by running
    Code:
    dhclient -r
    followed by
    Code:
    dhclient
    If that fails, then it's probably your router.

Thank you for advice, sadly after a hard reset and making my router open without any authentication I still can't connect. Public access points are not an issue, but somehow using Netgear WGR614routers my laptop doesn't connect to them. Under the admin page on the router I see the MAC address of the laptop, but the OS doesn't return a good ping to the gateway. Later this week I'll try a couple different Linux versions and a Linksys router and see how that goes.

Edit--
    After looking at the ping output again, I realized that the ip address saying the gateway was unreachable was actually the eth0 ip address. Switching over from Windows I was assuming that if an ethernet cable was not attached the OS would not attempt to use the ethernet port. Once I entered ifconfig eth0 down, I was finally able to connect to the internet with the wireless adapter.

Why public access points didn't give me this problem is strange, but I'll tackle that another day.
    Last edited by NewtoLinux; 2013-10-01 at 00:41.

Quote Originally Posted by NewtoLinux View Post
    Edit--
    After looking at the ping output again, I realized that the ip address saying the gateway was unreachable was actually the eth0 ip address. Switching over from Windows I was assuming that if an ethernet cable was not attached the OS would not attempt to use the ethernet port. Once I entered ifconfig eth0 down, I was finally able to connect to the internet with the wireless adapter.

Why public access points didn't give me this problem is strange, but I'll tackle that another day.
    Very strange... Maybe the OS was trying to use Ethernet instead of wireless, but it still doesn't make sense that there were no problems on a public network... Congrats on fixing it though!

Quote Originally Posted by NewtoLinux View Post
    Edit--

Probably you were using static IP on the ethernet interface and default gateway was set on it. Disconnecting the cable doesn't disable the interface automatically.
    You need to verify which interface is the default gw (0.0.0.0) with "route -n"