Thread: 64bit Kali (1.0.5) HDD install fails at bootloader step (both LILO and Grub)

Unhappy 64bit Kali (1.0.5) HDD install fails at bootloader step (both LILO and Grub)

Hello,

I have, using the instructions on Kali.org, created a 64bit Kali 1.0.5 USB.

Using parted magic i formatted the two hard drives in my PC, a 500gb laptop HDD and a 120gb standard HDD (with the impending clicking of doom)

500gb HDD: I go through the process according to the process outlined on Kali.org and it all goes well until the bootloader step. It gives me a message about being unable to write GRUB to /dev/sda/ and that it is a fatal error. I then try LILO and there is another error of a similar nature.

120gb HDD: Everything goes all fine apart from the fact that it is clicking.

Both have been formatted identically, no SMART errors. also tried formatting in the Kali live distro as a master boot record, still nothing.

System specs
    i5-3570k
    Radeon HD 7870
    4gb RAM

Thank you

Hey m8! well i had same problem as you did only solution i found was , follow full install process even with the grub/lilo not willing to be installed! after that, don't click finish install... simply click again install and let it re-copy the files. this time it should be able to install grub. don't forget.. use "normal" install! it should all be fine. i tested this 3 times before posting. hope it helped you and all other with same problem!
    Cheers!!

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.4
    Ati Radeon HD 4600
    8 GB RAM DDR 3

heyyyyy i too am facing same problem

You heard the man verzigathor, use normal install and retry when writting the grub into the mbr.

He has done it 3 times..

Luck.

I had this problem quite a while until i realized that for some reason, i had to manually partition my HDD; marking the default file system for /boot as Ext2.

I have also been very generous in most of my setups to give it a 700MB size. ****Remember to leave all other partitions' file system as default****

Go ahead with your partitioning then finally install your OS and grub should install without questions.

Let me know if it works for you.

You can find the fix here

Take a look

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...arget-quot-Fix
    ################################################

|
    /vvvvvvvvvvvv \-------------------------------------------------------------------------,,
    |^^^^^^^^ /===================================--""

----------The quieter you become,The more you will able to hear-----------
    Venkatesh L Sharma https://twitter.com/1337in