Thread: Installing on Virtual Box

Installing on Virtual Box

In the process of installing 64 bit Kali on VB I have reached the point of adding VBoxAdditons. I ran into problems and listed the contents of sources.list looking for updates, however, I got the following message: "could not resolve 'security.kali.org'. Could someone please suggest a means of overcoming this problem? As simple as it appears, I have spent several days wrestling with this.

Oh yes, The following solution was suggested with the indicated result:

"echo -n deb-src http://security.kali.org/kali-security kali/updates main contrib non-free >> /etc/apt/sources.list && apt-get update"

"Err http://security.kali.org kali/updates release.gpg
    could not resolve 'security.kali.org'
    Reading package lists. . .Done"

Would appreciate some advice from anyone.

Roxie2
    Last edited by Roxie2; 2013-09-27 at 01:31. Reason: added information

I am using 32 bit Kali 1.0.5, but I think this should be the same for the 64-bit version. Here are the steps I use to install the virtualbox guest addons on a fresh install of Kali (if you have made modifications it might not work):

1. Download the linux headers to compile the virtualbox modules with this command:
    apt-get update ; apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)

2. In virtualbox click on the devices menu and click "Install Guest Additions" at the bottom. You have to install this way and not using apt-get because the package in the repositories never works right.

3. In Kali's places menu you should see the virtual CD. Open it to be sure it is mounted.

4. Open a terminal and run the following (as root):
    cd /media/cdrom
    bash VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

5. Reboot. When Kali restarts your guest additions should be installed (you can tell it works if you can resize the window and the resolution of the VM changes to match the window).
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

Thank you Persistence,

I may need to start over. Is there a command to uninstall guest additions?

Roxie2

Yeah, you should be able to uninstall it with:

sudo apt-get remove --purge virtualbox-*

That will remove all virtualbox packages from your Kali install that have been installed by the package manager.
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

Thank you Persistence,

You have been very helpful.

Roxie2

yes, im done!.. thank's persistence
    Media Promo Angetan, Diskon Langsung - Angetan.com