Thread: Using Kali-Linux to access corrupted external Hard Drive

Using Kali-Linux to access corrupted external Hard Drive

Hello, about a month ago I tried to access my Hitachi hard drive but windows wouldn't let me without formatting it. I'm guessing there is some bad sectors in it, and there are some important files that I would like to recover. I heard of a program that accesses corrupted hard drives, but it costs too much. I also heard that Kali-Linux can also access corrupted hard drives, so I installed Kali-Linux. I'm not really sure how to get started on this task though. I'm running Kali-Linux (version 1.0.5 x64 bit) as a VM in Virtual Box. Could this job be performed via a virtual machine, or is a live boot/install needed? Thanks in advance.

Hirens Boot Live CD is better for this task.

There is a tool 'Safecopy' I trust this tool can do your work. what you have to do with tool is:
    First of all you have to run fdisk -l command this will show you your all partition. your partition should look like this /dev/sdb2 at last run this command safecopy source partition destination. Example root@kali:~# safecopy /dev/sdb2 /root/home
    it takes little time to recover data but it works
    I hope it will help you kindly visit this Click Here

+1 for Hiren.

Also, consider Knoppix.

Thanks for your tips and info, I was able to remove most of my files from the corrupted HD. It took quite a while, but I was able to do it!

Which tool did you use?

Data Recovery software proves to be an optimum tool to recover lost or accidentally deleted files and folders from file systems. The tool, Data Recovery is suitable for repairing corrupt FAT and NTFS file systems. Using this software it is possible to recover data from external hard drive partitions, formatted or re-formatted hard disk, corrupt Windows registry and even from damaged hard disk.