Thread: Installing kali linux - dual boot or VMWare

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Installing kali linux - dual boot or VMWare

Hi so im completely new to kali, but have a little bit of knowledge in backtrack. I just wanted to know whether it is a better idea to use a virtual machine for the install or to dual boot it like i did with backtrack. Can someone please give me some advantages and disadvantages of each install type, here are my specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CP?U @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz (8 CPUs)
    Installing memory (RAM): 32.0GB
    System type: 64-bit Operating System
    Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Any input would be much appreciated, cheers.

2. Good question. I am sure everyone will have a positive opinion either way. Personally I prefer the dual boot option (mainly to get rid of headaches with compatibility and networking issues.) Also with my setup I actually VM windows with Kali, though on my desktop I use Windows for gaming (which may change the way it seems how Steam is evolving lol).

However it really depends on your preferences. Once you get everything running smoothly you will be happy with either choice. With Dual boot benefits are: Mostly everything works out of the box, or at least no more than the usual hoops you have to jump through to get everything working. You have full access to all your hardware.
    Cons: Must reboot your machine to get back into windows. Windows does not natively recognize your Linux partition. Full Disk Encryption can be a pain to get running correctly.

Benefits of VM: No rebooting. Setting a bridge to share files between the OS's is easier. Can use full disk encryption like truecrypt without any issues. No need to partition your hard drive.
    Cons: Not always easy to tell if a problem is related to you virtualizing Kali or another issue. A lot of hard ware is virtualized, like video card (meaning some perks will not be fully utilized). Internet issues might arise between different tools.

With that said, I prefer Dual Booting, for its ease. However I must point out from your system spcs, you shouldn't have any issue with VM.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

I tried both ways and pretty much came to the same conclusion as you did, so im going the Dual Boot way. One more question though, When i load Kali from Grub when all the white writing on the black background displays on the screen i get a lot of failed messages before it loads, moves too fast to read what it says though. From what i can see everything is functional within Kali, was just wondering if this is normal or if its an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by owain-esau View Post
    I tried both ways and pretty much came to the same conclusion as you did, so im going the Dual Boot way. One more question though, When i load Kali from Grub when all the white writing on the black background displays on the screen i get a lot of failed messages before it loads, moves too fast to read what it says though. From what i can see everything is functional within Kali, was just wondering if this is normal or if its an issue.
    If you aren't encountering any errors or issues within Kali, it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Ok, thanks for the help. Doesnt look like an issue really, seems like it starts to load something, fails and then loads something else instead.

This is my personal stand point of view:
    Dual boot off course. The real deal. period.

But it is up to you.

Yup, you're right
    Dual boot works so much better, plus im starting to like using Kali over windows for pretty much everything im doing now.
    Thanks everyone for your help, you were very helpful.