TLDR: If anyone has a newer macbook and is able to do wireless penetration testing, PLEASE let me know how you are achieving such. What boot method are you using? What usb wireless dongle are you using? What version of OSX do you have? Are you using any custom bootloaders?

I have a macbook pro (late 2011), and want to do wireless penetration testing with it, using Kali linux.

My understanding is that you can "install" kali linux two ways on a Macbook, 1) by booting via USB, and 2) Installing via virtualbox.

First I tried installing via virtualbox, since I have some experience running ubuntu in virtualbox in the past. Once I got it running, I realized I need to buy an external wireless card in order to do wireless penetration testing, as the built in wireless card on the Macbook won't show up as a "wireless device" in Kali through Virtualbox.

So I did some googling and found the Alfa AWUS036NH. I bought it on amazon. When it arrived, I could almost get it working, but it would give me errors. I eventually realized the AWUS036NH only has drivers for OSX 10.4 and earlier. My version of OSX is 10.8. Apparently the AWUS036NH came out a long time ago. The newer alpha models that do work in OSX don't support packet injection, so they are worthless to Kali...

After fiddling around with virtualbox for a few days, I eventually gave up. There is no way the AWUS036NH is going to work in OSX. The reason why it doesn't work in OSX 10.8 is because the drivers only work in 32 bit mode. OSX 10.8 is 64bit only. Apparently there is a way to boot OSX into 32 bit mode and install the drivers, but I couldn't get it to work.

Then I tried booting Kali Linux from USB. This got me nowhere either. Apparently Apple really, really doesn't want you to be able to boot other OSs on the Macbook, because I tried two different USB keychains I have (one IOCell 4GB, one ScanDisk 16GB), and neither work. I think it has to do with the fact that Macs use EFI bootloaders, which is I think Mac specific.

I even tried installing rEFInd (A custom bootloader for OSX) but still couldn't load Kali, I kept getting a "Can't find bootable drive" error.

I've been messing with this for about a month now. Please someone who has this working tell me how to get this working!