Thread: Kali on MBPR Strange WiFi Issue

Unhappy Kali on MBPR Strange WiFi Issue

I have been using Kali in a fussion vm but recently I had need of a USB boot disc I started by following the Kali Live USB guide but had a wifi issue, so I decided to do an install to the usb but the issue remained.

On my Macbook Pro Retna the internal wlan card is seen and looks like it should work.... it will connect to a new ap (WPA2) after I enter the password, then it drops the connection and when I try to reconnect it times out trying to authenticate and will not connect again. If i then reboot it will connect to the same AP right away and stable.

It does the same with my Alfa AWUS036H however on my vm this card works fine.

I have searched the forums & google but cant seem to figure it out.

any ideas would be appreciated!

I do not understan well, you made an installation over a USB stick?..NO live Kali, but an installation on a usb? is that it?

I have a USB live without any issues.

Have you find any USB stick issues like bad blocks or perhaps a bad Partition table?...

Try this to make sure no bad blocks are in the USB, issue this command in a terminal: badblocks /dev/"your usb device"

Luck.

First I tried as a Live usb (my preferance) then as a Full Install to USB and have the same strange wifi issue with both it affects all wifi adapters on my macbook when booting from the usb. If I use the same usb disc in my wife's dell it woks fine no wifi issues. If I run Kali and in Fussion Vm and assign my Alfa to the vm it works fine no issues.

and again the issue is not seen if when I boot up Kali there is a known ap in range then it connects with no issues. its only trying to connect for the first time to an ap that the disconnecting and the authentication timeouts.

Isnt it caused by the VM? I use Parallels and networking is shared from there for the internal card. External is required for monitor mode. Check out iwconfig. You should see your internal wireless card doesnt show, it uses shared networking as if on ethernet from OSX.

On fusion I can direct connect my USB Alfa to my vm and monitor mode works. You are right about the internal. However I have the wifi issue with my USB Alfa on USB boot as well

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin21 View Post
    Isnt it caused by the VM? I use Parallels and networking is shared from there for the internal card. External is required for monitor mode. Check out iwconfig. You should see your internal wireless card doesnt show, it uses shared networking as if on ethernet from OSX.

VM's do not support internal wifi cards. The usb Alfa issue, try using another encryption method, try wep instead. See if it works fine with wep.

Do this to see if there is issues with wpa-wpa2.

luck.

Ok I'll give it a try! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    VM's do not support internal wifi cards. The usb Alfa issue, try using another encryption method, try wep instead. See if it works fine with wep.

luck.

By the way, Alfa AWUS036H works "out of the box"..

Ok I managed to try my ap with wep and it seems to work fine with wep... so the issue seems to be related to wpa/wpa2 any idea where I can go from here?

luck.

Well, try changing the encryption method: tkip, ccmp, AES, psk and see if it works with any of them.
    Last edited by maverik35; 2013-10-12 at 04:44.

Ya... on the AP I'm currently using at home I don't have that choice. my options are wep or wpa2. I can certainly pull out another one to test with. but so far every access point I have tried (home, office, client sites) all have had issues.

Well, try changing the encryption method: tkip, ccmp, AES, psk and see if it works in any of them.