Thread: Atheros AR8161

Exclamation Atheros AR8161

Hello,
    I am extremely new to Linux and have just started learning from scratch. I have a Lenovo Ideapad y500 with a Atheros AR8161 NIC card and I currently have Mint/Kali/DEFT and Kali is the only OS that does not recognize my NIC card. As anyone has success manually installing the driver. If so could you please provide detailed instructions of how you did so.

Thank you very much.

You need the alx driver.

This driver is contained in the compat-wireless, so you can download latest stable compat-wireless here: http://www.orbit-lab.org/kernel/comp....6.8-1.tar.bz2
    Then, make sure you have installed the build-essential and linux-headers packages.

Now decompress the compat-wireless : tar xjvf "the compat-wireless package downloaded".

Go to that folder you decompressed, select the driver alx, compile and load the driver you selected (in your case is alx):

./scripts/driver-select alx
    make
    make install
    make unload
    modprobe alx

Perhaps you may need to restart the networking services in case no interface is shown with iwconfig or ifconfig -a.

To restart the networking services do:
    1. service networking reload
    or
    2. /etc/init.d/networking reload.

Hope it helps. Remember to learn about linux basics..These things are basics.

Luck
    Last edited by maverik35; 2013-10-11 at 03:55.

Hello. When i want to run the command: make i got the following errors:

make -C /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/build M=/root/Documents/compat-wireless-3.6.8-1 modules
    make: *** /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
    make: *** [modules] Error 2

Then i realised that u mentioned that i have to install build-essetntial and linux-headers. build-essential is already installed, but when i want to install linux headers i got the following errors:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    linux-headers-3.2.0-4-amd64 : Depends: linux-kbuild-3.2 but it is not installable
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Could you help me?

You have the wrong kernel.

I took for granted you knew how to do it..

You need to know your kernel version: uname -r
    Then write that down.
    aptitude install linux-headers-"the output of uname -r"

You tried to install headers for 3.2.0-4 and that is not kali kernel, it has a 3.7-trunk-amd64.

The error:-----> make: *** /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/build: No such file or directory. Stop.

It did not find the 3.7-trunk-amd64/build Directory..Why?..Because the linux-headers have to creat them...No 3.7-trunk-amd64 headers no /lib/modules/3.7-trunk-amd64/build directory.

Luck.