Thread: Cannot install Kali Linux in VirtualBox on a Mac

Cannot install Kali Linux in VirtualBox on a Mac

I have been trying to install kali-linux-1.0.5-amd64.iso in VirtualBox 4.2.18 r88780 on a MacBook Pro Retina with OSX 10.8.5 (Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz).

I set configuration for the new machine in VirtualBox: Ununto 64bits and I get the error message "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted!"

Which Kali Linux image should I use?
    What configuration needs to be done in VirtualBox to create the new machine?

Thanks in advance

PaulVillagra

Not sure if this information below has do do with your issue or how relevant it is but it may help you. Most issues like yours are from not installing Grub. I had that issue on VMWare Workstation while choosing to run Live mode and then trying to install through the gui. You might want to try to install using the graphical option that's what worked for me other wise it will fail to install grub. And the reason for this has to do with networking from what I've read but you can read more on it if you do a quick google search. Hope this helps!

original webpage of post: http://techwikasta.com/2013/05/how-to-install-kali-linux-os-on-virtual-box/

Instructions --->

We need to enable PAE/NX for the Kali Linux. Otherwise, you may get a fatal error when attempting to boot into Kali Linux.

Get back to the home screen of Virtual Box, highlight the Kali Linux in the homescreen, and click Settings.
    From here, navigate to the System submenu and go to the Processor tab.
    You will see the option to Enable PAE/NX. Check this box to enable it.

The Enable PAE/NX setting determines whether the PAE and NX capabilities of the host CPU will be exposed to the virtual machine. PAE stands for “Physical Address Extension”. Normally, if enabled and supported by the operating system, then even a 32-bit x86 CPU can access more than 4 GB of RAM. This is made possible by adding another 4 bits to memory addresses, so that with 36 bits, up to 64 GB can be addressed. Some operating systems (such as Ubuntu Server, Kali Linux) require PAE support from the CPU and cannot be run in a virtual machine without it.

If you don't mind you're able to try use the kali-linux-1.0.5-i386 .

I've try to install it on VMware Fusion with OS X 10.8.5 i7 . It works .

I hope it will help you
    OSCP | OSWP | Offsec is the best