Thread: Need help installed Kali Linux Dual Boot with Win7 & when rebooting get grub rescue

Question Need help installed Kali Linux Dual Boot with Win7 & when rebooting get grub rescue

I installed Kali Linux dual boot with Windows 7, everything installed fine but when I re-booted I get the Grub rescue command prompt. The only way I dont get it is if I insert the Kali Linux USB that I installed Kali Linux from and when the usb is plugged in then I get the grub menu that lets me choose Kali Linux, Kali Linux recovery, or Windows 7. Can somebody please help me with this problem because I dont want to keep putting the usb flash drive in order to get the boot loader to choose which O/S I want to use.

Did you installed the grub in the USB?...Perhaps /dev/sdb?

You need to recover grub...

Need a live DVD. Use the Ubuntu distro from ver 10.04 and above, Kali live, Debian Wheezy live, or any live debian-based distro. Use according to the architecture you installed, either 32bit or 64bit.

Then boot with it and once in the system, open up a terminal and do this:

1.# fdisk -l (search for the partition where you installed kali: /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, etc)
    2.# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt (Mount the kali partition)
    3.# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev (You will need to mount the /dev directory into mnt)
    4.# chroot /mnt (change the root to the mounted partition to be able to run the command from the mounted partition)
    5.# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda (install grub in the HDD sda, not sda1, sda2, etc.., just sda.

Now, please issue these 2 commands, if they fail, do not worry, you will have to do it after reboot.. This will make win7 show up in the grub menu.
    # os-prober (looks for partitions in the HDD and register them in the os-prober file.
    # update-grub (Takes some templates, including the os-prober file and writes them in the menu)

That is all, once done, reboot..You should see the grub menu. If you do not see the win7 in the menu, don't worry, just enter kali, open up a terminal and run the 2 commands I posted above:
    #os-prober (looks for partitions in the HDD and register them in the os-prober file.
    #update-grub (Takes some templates, including the os-prober file and writes them in the menu)

Reboot again, you should see the kali and win7 in the menu.

Also if your main issue is getting access to Windows again, just insert an install CD go to repair options or whatever wording it uses, and boot a CMD prompt and type in bootrec.exe, then bootrec /FixBoot and bootrec /FixMbr if both of those worked successfully, then retstart your computer. Then, surprise? Windows is booting up? How weird....once you get into windows you'll have a lot more control, and then for Linux, just reinstall grub like the person above me said. Although I cannot guarantee if they are right or not, I would suggest you listen to Linux people for your Grub rescue issue.