Thread: need help installing Kali on hdd

need help installing Kali on hdd

Hello ,

I'm trying to install Kali Linux x64 on Hard disk. I boot up dvd and follow the install procedure for graphical install. the system reboots and i get message welcome to grub .
    i choose my grubloader and the sytem starts up and i get the messages / lines from the startup.
    but then i'm suppose to come to the login and that's where it fails.
    All i get is a black screen and a dash in the top left corner and that's it.
    the system keep running but it seems to be stuck. I get no error messages just a black screen
    i've tried the live install option and it gives me the same problem. then I tried the option with just installer - same problem

what am i missing ??

nothing wrong with the dvd

my system : my primary os is on ssd Windows 8 64-bit but this is of no importance because i don't startup with this when using Kali, i disconnect ssd and use a different hdd sata 250gb for kali

CPU Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
    RAM 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3
    Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z87P-D3
    Graphics
    SyncMaster Samsung monitor
    Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Gigabyte)
    1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
    Hard Drive 250GB SATA
    CD/DVD drive
    Audio Realtek High Definition Audio
    onboard ethernet
    wireless usb realtek RTL8192CU

can someone pls help me

thanx

Hello,

First of all , you should try booting off as a Live CD , if you see the desktop screen from there , install the OS from inside the live boot . If still not work try using failsafe mode.

Unplug any USB Storage devices, Then shut down / Reboot, and try again. (USB Thumb Drives, External USB Hard Drives).
    Kali does not like that. ;]

i tried the live cd option - no screen
    regarding the usb storage devices - i only have usb keyboard , mouse and usb tp-link wireless adapter connected. no external hard drives. sata hdd connected to motherboard nothing else

i first tried installing in VMWare and it worked in VMWare. i just had a bit trouble with the wireless usb- setting it up. then i got the wlan working, so then i thought it would be nice if i could install on hdd but it's giving me a bit of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cL1kz0r View Post
    Hello,

First of all , you should try booting off as a Live CD , if you see the desktop screen from there , install the OS from inside the live boot . If still not work try using failsafe mode.
    you mean creating my own iso image ?

It seems to me a video issue.

Dual video card?

If so, it becomes an issue in some linux distros my friend..So if you have the option to disable one of them in the bios, do it and leave one, nVidia works great in debian distros.

Quote Originally Posted by maverik35 View Post
    It seems to me a video issue.

Dual video card?

If so, it becomes an issue in some linux distros my friend..So if you have the option to disable one of them in the bios, do it and leave one, nVidia works great in debian distros.
    i have standard onboard mobo video graphics and the nvidia card.
    correct me if i'm getting this wrong : so before install kali Linux, i boot into my bios and disable one of the 2 and then try to install again ?

8. Yes, try (disabling) with the on board card first. And see if your nvidia will kick in. Then try vice versa. You shouldn't need to reinstall each time, it may just be confused. With the install are you able to see grub at all or is it all black screen from power on?
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

yes i get to grub and i can choose the grub , then i get startup messages. then it should startup - give the login for username and password. and that's where it fails for me -> black screen. i'm going to try the option with the graphic cards. thanx for help

You need to pick one video card and disable one as I posted. The nVidia works better in Debian distros.

At login screen, try to get in text mode: press Ctl + Alt + F1

Now login as root and then the passwd you chose.

Now see check the video card: lspci | grep -i vga

Post the output.

Now if you have the nvidia enabled, type : lspci -v and look for the videocard and at the end you should see the driver being used by kernel. Post it.

Again, disable one video card and leave the nvidia enabled.

Please post the outputs. You might end up installing the nvidia propietary driver unless nouveau is working with your card.

We need to know after disabling one of the cards, which one is kicking in.

11. Yes I concur with maverik35. Posting the outputs as he suggested will also help us troubleshoot your issue, and hopefully will get your machine up and running smoothly.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

I suggest all my clients who need dual operating systems to opt for vm instead of dual boot..... Especially while you install linux along with windows.... For me installing Kali Linux on Oracle's VirtualBox is the best solution without any issues.... You can refer the tutorial from here... http://www.knotrick.com/preparing-ha...on-virtualbox/