Thread: How to install 32 bit software on a 64 bit system

How to install 32 bit software on a 64 bit system

The quick answer to this question is:

Code:
    dpkg --add-architecture i386
    apt-get update
    The long answer can be found here: http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

I have heard mixed opinions on this matter, but what are the main reasons someone would want to install the 32 bit version of Kali on their 64 bit PC?

Mostly for compatibility with existing drivers and programs. Also, most of the pen testing tools do not require or take advantage of 64-bit processing (except perhaps scanning and encryption cracking). Another way of looking at this is many software have been around since 32-bit era and still need to be rewritten to take advantage of 64-bit processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Burn:Cycle View Post
    I have heard mixed opinions on this matter, but what are the main reasons someone would want to install the 32 bit version of Kali on their 64 bit PC?

4. Quote Originally Posted by strokerace View Post
    There is no advantage to 64bit over 32. Its an illusion to sell software and to get people to update their hardware. Its no faster. Its the samething with dual and quad core. What speeds up your computer and make it seem faster is the RAM. You notice that all new computer run 8gig of ram to do the same work as 2 gigs did?
    Respectfully I disagree with this assessment in general. Although I do agree that running Kali in 32bit is my preference as clearday alluded to, there are real world advantages to using a 64bit system. However yes you are right in so far that there is not much of an advantage when it comes to running everyday software or doing remedial task such as email or documents, listening or watching media (2 Gigs of ram does this quite nicely). But if you move into the realm of encryption, media editing, compression, password generation, scientific computing or basically any memory intensive utilization (where 8 Gigs of ram comes to play) then obvious noticeable gains are observed.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

I have been do it, but I get:
    you must install 32bit developers..etc

Quote Originally Posted by clearday View Post
    Mostly for compatibility with existing drivers and programs. Also, most of the pen testing tools do not require or take advantage of 64-bit processing (except perhaps scanning and encryption cracking). Another way of looking at this is many software have been around since 32-bit era and still need to be rewritten to take advantage of 64-bit processing.
    I do agree with clearday on the statement Mostly for compatibility with existing drivers and programs. And also if you use kali 32-bit as persistence live USB, it'll work flawlessly in 32-bit and 64-bit machine.
    ...Medicine & IT 've the similarity. Medicine is science and art, so is hacking...

thanks for this information.
    thanks.

can i use
    dpkg --add-architecture i686
    apt-get update

to install X64 in x86 ?
    ################################################

|
    /vvvvvvvvvvvv \-------------------------------------------------------------------------,,
    |^^^^^^^^ /===================================--""

----------The quieter you become,The more you will able to hear-----------
    Venkatesh L Sharma https://twitter.com/1337in

The quick answer to this question (in early 2016 on Kali Rolling) is:

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32stdc++6

Not sure if "dpkg --add-architecture i386" is even still required.

Sorry for grave digging, but this is a top search result.

Since Wheezy introduces multiarch, the ia32-libs package in now deprecated. It is now possible to install 32bit packages directly:

dpkg --add-architecture i386 # enable multi-arch
    apt-get update
    apt-get install libc6:i386 # install base 32bit libraries

11. better choose 64 bit to install in 64 bit computure, 64 bit has more intellengence than 32 bit

Quote Originally Posted by zv_odd View Post
    The quick answer to this question (in early 2016 on Kali Rolling) is:

Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32stdc++6

Not sure if "dpkg --add-architecture i386" is even still required.

Sorry for grave digging, but this is a top search result.
    For me it worked without it.

If you want to install 32bit software of 64bit system, You could use free virtualization software, such as VirtualBox from Sun, to host a 32-bit operating system inside of Windows 7.

However, nearly all 32-bit software (games, office suites, photo editing) works just as well under Windows 7 x64.

14. 32 bit or 64 bit better? tks bro
    Datdobazan kinh doanh sản phẩm n?ng nghiệp sạch

Thanks for your post

While it is possible to install a 32-bit operating system on a 64-bit system, it is best to install a 64-bit version if possible. The 64-bit OS will allow your computer to access more RAM, run applications more efficiently, and, in most cases, run both 32-bit and 64-bit programs

Thanks for sharing.

Can anyone share any useful tutorial to solve and make this happen.

Thanks for sharing.

you need to visit youtube there are huge number of tutorials about it

iam new to kali linux 2021 i have a wifi adapter and cant figure out how to run and install drivers of the cd?

While a 32-bit operating system may be installed on a 64-bit machine, it is preferable to use the 64-bit version. Your machine will be able to access more RAM, execute applications more effectively, and, in most situations, run both 32-bit and 64-bit programmes with the 64-bit OS.

I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for some time now and in the past have successfully installed a 32-bit application without any problems. But today, after a reinstall of Windows, when I attempt to install this software, I get a warning box telling me "installing the 32-bit version on a 64-bit operating system is not supported." Other 32-bit software has loaded without any problems. Any suggestions on how to address this?

open the instalier using windows compatibility mode, choose an earlier version OS

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001894.htm

This is a Kali forum Mia not a windows forum!

The 64-bit versions of Windows don't provide support for 16-bit binaries or 32-bit drivers. Programs that depend on 16-bit binaries or 32-bit drivers can't run on the 64-bit versions of Windows unless the program manufacturer provides an update for the program.
    drug test kits near me
    You can follow these steps

• Open Windows Control Panel.
    • Select Programs and Features.
    • Click Turn Windows features on or off in the left panel.
    • In the new popup, find and check Internet Information Services.
    • Finally, click OK to save the change and wait for Windows to complete the request changes.

Last edited by lakakahn; 2023-04-09 at 19:31.

Hello my PC has 4 gb ram what do you think is better 32 or 64?