Thread: 64 bit or 32 bit?

Question 64 bit or 32 bit?

Hello,
    what Kali Architecture should I install on my Desktop computer? 64 bit or 32 bit? I have 2GB RAM and Intel Celeron D CPU 3.06 GHz (1core) but 64 bit compatible
    what is the architecture with less troubles and problems?
    Thank you in advance

Hi , first of all , there is no real difference between architectures when it comes to software , so both are same and not like one got more/less trouble or problems.
    Architectures are just made to utilize more of your memory(RAM) if available.

If you are having 2GB of ram , then you must opt for x86 or 32 bit architecture , if you ever consider upgrading to anything more than 2 Gigs , then x64 or 64 bits is suitable.

And as for your processor , 64 bit compatible means that it can handle 2gb + Rams , and not that it must be run on 64 bit os. Remember , more doesn't necessarily mean better!

Always 64 bit when supported by the processor...I use 64 bit unless you try the VM, which is someting I personally do not recommend.

And with all due respect to cL1kz0r , I do not agree with some concepts he refers to, but I respect his opinion.

Luck.

64-bit operating systems can run on 32-bit hardware & not the other way around...
    (+61)402350315

5. I'm fairly certain 32-bit operating systems can run on 64-bit hardware, and not the other way around...
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Quote Originally Posted by tty View Post
    64-bit operating systems can run on 32-bit hardware & not the other way around...
    Allow me my friend to disagree. Debian Multiarch is both ways.

Windows works the way you say it, not Debian.

32 bit systems running 64bit app and viceversa. The only limitation is that you cannot have binaries for the both archs, but headers and libs, yes you can.

32bit <--> 64 bit.

Not 32 <-- 64
    or
    32 --> 64

Luck.
    Last edited by maverik35; 2013-10-29 at 18:40.

7. Technically x86 simply refers to a family of processors and the instruction set they all use. It doesn't actually say anything specific about data sizes. The term x86 started out as a 16-bit instruction set for 16-bit processors (the 8086 and 8088 processors), then was extended to a 32-bit instruction set for 32-bit processors (80386 and 80486), and now has been extended to a 64-bit instruction set for 64-bit processors. It used to be written as 80x86 to reflect the changing value in the middle of the chip model numbers, but somewhere along the line the 80 in the front was dropped, leaving just x86.

Macin