Thread: Wont boot on VM, neither 32bit or 64bit version

Wont boot on VM, neither 32bit or 64bit version

Hello all,
    I downloaded a VM 64bit and tried the kali 64bit iso and it gave me error
    ... only detected i686 so cant boot

then I tried the 32bit iso and it said ...
    your machine doesnt have a PEA

what do both of those errors mean please?
    Im using a laptop with an intel pentium, im sure its 64 bit, but its lower spec than an i3 chip

2. I'm afraid your Pentium is a bit dated. I believe there is a non-pae build of Kali out there. Basically the error is telling you that your processor doesn't have the right instruction set programmed into it to run the Kernal. Older versions of Linux (not kali) should be able to run.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Please post the machine model and brand...It is not PEA it is PAE (Physical Address Extension).

And I have my doubts as to the processor type and capabilities...Please post the info I asked you above, please.

It seems to me like you have a 32 bit processor and the unit cannot handle the PAE feature, that's what the error is about.

I totally agree with charonsecurity, it sounds more like you have a old processor.

Thanks for answers.
    My laptop less than 6 months old, Win8 ASUS s200E using a intel 987 chip 64bit

Its a great machine but I got it when it first came out and shortly after they releases an i3 version which I wish Id got.

Whats i868, I thought all intel chips run on x86 architechure of whatever and everything was compatible?

it is not i868, it is i686 PAE, and it is for all 32 bit processors (32 bit architectures that support PAE), not only intel.

Try the 64-bit (kali linux amd64)..The amd64 means a 64bit distro and NOT the AMD processor.