Thread: 7970 Black Screen Blinlackking Cursor

7970 Black Screen Blinlackking Cursor

Hello,

For a couple days now, I've been trying to get the AMD Radeon HD 7970 cards (I have two of them) installed and working in my machine with the proprietary drivers. I tried Blackmoores method, other scripts, all versions, and looked at at least a dozen different installation methods. I've always been able to get everything to install correctly. However, upon rebooting, I either get just a black screen or a blinking cursor in the upper left corner with a black screen. This happens midway though the boot process when X tries to load.

I am beside myself with this installation right now. This is my last resort and I hope someone can help me get this working.

For background information, I have no intentions or use for the cards to be used as actual video display cards. I only wish to use them for GPU password cracking, etc. I would like to continue using my onboard video for my graphics display.

First is this possible and if so, can anyone help? I think I could install Kali Linux in my sleep at this point I've re-installed it so many times.
    Last edited by byrtch; 2013-10-22 at 15:15.

This is what happened to me and how I was able to solve it...

After installing Kali linux, everything worked fine right after the installation completed, I was even able to install some additional software and stuff but after I rebooted the pc I had the same issue... Black screen

Now this is how I solved it:

During the installation there is a part that asks you if you would like to use or install something like "mirrors for some other software" (can't remember the exact words).

Go ahead and select NO.

That fixed the problem for me.

First, if you installed the propietary driver, you need to uninstall radeon open driver and blacklist it, as well as disable dkms since dkms is not supported by propietary drivers.

Then download this driver from ATI: http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...Linux%20x86_64

Use the stable one.

Then install it. Try it.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers and input. My probelm actually ended up being the fact that I was trying to run it through a KVM switch. Apparently X is unable to query the KVM adapter hardware for resolution and refresh rate infomation (EDID - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extende...ification_data) and therefore attempts to display a resolution that is unsupported and you get the blinking cursor.

Once I hooked up an actual monitor to the DVI port and re-ran the installer script it worked well.