Thread: Can you recommend a VM disk size and manual partitioning layout, etc.?

Can you recommend a VM disk size and manual partitioning layout, etc.?

I'm installing Kali as a virtual machine. I have plenty of host, hard drive space AND RAM so I can make my Kali VM pretty much however I'd like it to be.

1.) Can someone recommend a specific size of VM hard drive to make so I won't "outgrow" my install? I want to make sure I have plenty of drive and partition space to do updates, etc., and not run out of space.

I've installed FreeBSD many times and I'm comfortable with it, but I've never used Debian before.

2.) Can someone recommend a partitioning layout as well as file system types to make each partition and also volume labels?

3.) Memory amount? 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc.?

Thank you!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by edflecko View Post
    I'm installing Kali as a virtual machine. I have plenty of host, hard drive space AND RAM so I can make my Kali VM pretty much however I'd like it to be.

1.) Can someone recommend a specific size of VM hard drive to make so I won't "outgrow" my install? I want to make sure I have plenty of drive and partition space to do updates, etc., and not run out of space.

I've installed FreeBSD many times and I'm comfortable with it, but I've never used Debian before.

2.) Can someone recommend a partitioning layout as well as file system types to make each partition and also volume labels?

3.) Memory amount? 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc.?

Thank you!

Ed

First, hopefully your BIOS allows you to enable virtualization unless your Kali is 32-bit. Secondly, I've had success time after time with getting Kali up and running inside a VM (VMWare, Virtual Machine (oracle) ) and I used 1024 mb which is equal to 1GB so 2GB should be sufficient. You can also check the VM documentation which you are using to further your decision.

Hope this was helpful.
    Hop
    Every ethical hacker must have a place to practice and explore.

I just started getting into installing linux with separate partitions. I set up a couple of different Kali's. All are setup on a vm (for now). One of them is BT5R3. Its setup as one 100 GB partition. Another vm is Kali Linux that I made into a minimum test with 6 diffrent partitions on a 50GB vm. /root(15GB), /usr(10GB), /var(5), swap(2GB), /tmp(1GB) & /home(33GB).
    The other Kali Linux that I have setup: /root(20GB), /usr(20GB), /var(5), swap(2GB), /tmp(500MB) & /home(71GB).
    Here is the outcome of 'df -h':

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    rootfs 14G 746M 13G 6% /
    udev 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
    tmpfs 201M 584K 200M 1% /run
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/5b3c569d-af87-41d3-8157-87712825aec5 14G 746M 13G 6% /
    tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    tmpfs 783M 76K 783M 1% /run/shm
    /dev/sda9 71G 180M 67G 1% /home
    /dev/sda8 461M 11M 427M 3% /tmp
    /dev/sda5 9.2G 7.9G 894M 90% /usr
    /dev/sda6 2.8G 563M 2.1G 22% /var
    .host:/ 451G 398G 54G 89% /mnt/hgfs

I downloaded some useless junk to my downloads folder on my /home drive purposely because I intend on upgrading my min test system until it crashed(lands me at CLI)(non gui mode).
    Then, my intent is to install from a live cd or usb just the operating system into my /root. Im learning how to become familiar with saving my data from crash n burn cause I tired of losing data and this seems easily to reinstall the OS back to the /root drive rather than lose and gain a fresh setup each time..

p.s. I originally started out with vmware workstation 9.02 with vmware tools v9.23, but have since upgraded to vmware workstation 10 with vmware-tools v9.6.1. I killed myself trying to figure out how to setup vmware and to mount the Host/Guest File System (HGFS). I finally mastered setup and now I have done done done done done done all the way down. I am so proud of myself.

I will now highfive myself!

hoo-rah!

~ Navyairtech ~
    ~ Rebel Without A Cause .... ~