Thread: Big problem just making pendrive, corrupts it

Big problem just making pendrive, corrupts it

Ive done this 4 times, with 4 different USB pens, always the same error.

Got a brand new 8GB pen drive
    Use the Win32 installer to write the 64bit iso to it, (following instructions)

Wont Boot from it
    When reading the E drive error message says it needs formatting

If try to format to start again the only size option is 2.35GB
    **There seems to be a hidden partition that the reformat wont remove***

So the above happens every time. I really want to try Kali Linux but Ive spent over a week on trying to get it on a VM or on a pendrive!
    Please advise

2. When you initially format the usb before using win32, what file system (ie fat32) are you using? In windows you won't be able to (natively) read the usb and will say it needs formatting, this is normal as the drive is using a different file system that windows doesn't recognize.

It's entirely possible you are creating the boot usb fine, however your pc's bios may not support it. What type of PC are you using and its specs. For example a iMac will need to jump through hoops to get it working correctly.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

Hey Barry, I found a program that helped me to get it on a pendrive.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

It has a very helpful walk through. I hope it helps you

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaroc View Post
    Hey Barry, I found a program that helped me to get it on a pendrive.

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

It has a very helpful walk through. I hope it helps you
    Linux Live USB isn't supported. But then again, when official/recommended things doesn't work, I got nothing to complain.
    charonsecurity asked the right question already.
    Curious to see which Pendrive Live USB maker works best with Kali. I've stopped wasting time on those...

Quote Originally Posted by blackMORE View Post
    Linux Live USB isn't supported. But then again, when official/recommended things doesn't work, I got nothing to complain.
    charonsecurity asked the right question already.
    Curious to see which Pendrive Live USB maker works best with Kali. I've stopped wasting time on those...
    I used Universal USB Installer, worked fine for me.
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

First, make sure the download is fine checking SHA1 sum.

If it is ok, use fdisk to create the partitions and then use mkfs.msdos (or mkfs.vfat, both are the same thing) to format it and asign the label to pendrive.

That's it..

It will assure you have all requirements (fat32, partition table, label, etc) in your stick, then just use dd command to copy iso to usb stick (You can also use cat command), but if noobie, use dd.

One more thing, this way you also assure that bad blocks will be marked to avoid use them when writting to USB stick, whether you install or write data.

Luck.