Thread: Having issues with SSH.

Having issues with SSH.

I've been messing around with metasploit and metasploitable and trying to get the hang of SSH commands, but I cannot make a connection to my Kali(on virtual box) with SSH from my host nor metasploitable. I can connect fine though to my other vms just Kali Here is my debugging info.
    Code:
    ssh -vvv 192.168.0.107
    OpenSSH_6.0p1 Debian-3ubuntu1, OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
    debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.107 [192.168.0.107] port 22.
    debug1: connect to address 192.168.0.107 port 22: Connection refused
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.107 port 22: Connection refused
    Last edited by mrxtreme353; 2013-11-09 at 02:14.

Quote Originally Posted by mrxtreme353 View Post
    I've been messing around with metasploit and metasploitable and trying to get the hand of SSH command, but I cannot make a connection to my Kali with SSH. Here is my debugging info.
    Code:
    ssh -vvv 192.168.0.107
    OpenSSH_6.0p1 Debian-3ubuntu1, OpenSSL 1.0.1c 10 May 2012
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
    debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
    debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.107 [192.168.0.107] port 22.
    debug1: connect to address 192.168.0.107 port 22: Connection refused
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.107 port 22: Connection refused
    hi
    I get the same error ... if I try to connect my kali ..... to HIMSELF with the ""ssh service-stopped""" .....
    but if I try to connect my kali to the correct address of my metasploitable 2 seems to work well!
    http://imageshack.us/f/401/pye1.png/
    http://imageshack.us/f/824/df6v.png/

ps:@zoom
    Last edited by zimmaro; 2013-11-09 at 08:42.

It must have something to doing with user permissions 0=root . I'm trying to figure out how to configure the permission settings

hmmmm, I messed around with the permissions in of the ssh_host_rsa_keys and the ssh_host_dsa_keys in /etc/ssh folder. I restarted with /etc/init.d/ssh restart. I tried to connect again , but it would't allow me to start up because the I gave too many permissions to "others" . So , i went back and changed everything back. I changed the ssh_host_ecdsa_key permissions to read-only in "others" ran the restart script and I can now connect. Zimmaro, I'm not a command line pro so I just right-clicked the file ,clicked properties and went to the permissions tab. All I know is that 0=root in the computer world.Just monkey around with the permissions, but just remember what you mess around with, because like I stated. SSH will not allow you to run with permissions because it deems it too unsafe to run. Good luck

Excuse me, I made a mistake in specifying which files I changed permissions to.The files I changed permissions to "read-only" in "others" are ssh_host_dsa_key.pub ,ssh_host_rsa_key.pub, and ssh_host_ecdsa_key.pub. After you change those, run /etc/init.d/ssh restart. Worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mrxtreme353 View Post
    hmmmm, I messed around with the permissions in of the ssh_host_rsa_keys and the ssh_host_dsa_keys in /etc/ssh folder. I restarted with /etc/init.d/ssh restart. I tried to connect again , but it would't allow me to start up because the I gave too many permissions to "others" . So , i went back and changed everything back. I changed the ssh_host_ecdsa_key permissions to read-only in "others" ran the restart script and I can now connect. Zimmaro, I'm not a command line pro so I just right-clicked the file ,clicked properties and went to the permissions tab. All I know is that 0=root in the computer world.Just monkey around with the permissions, but just remember what you mess around with, because like I stated. SSH will not allow you to run with permissions because it deems it too unsafe to run. Good luck
    I'm not expert to ..
    I have ONLY shown the ""condition"" in which the "type" of error (from you posted) ....could....COMES ...in my virt-lab
    @luck