Thread: Installing Kali side by side with Ubuntu and Win7

Installing Kali side by side with Ubuntu and Win7

I got a new hard disk (750GB) and I'm planning to install 3 OS there namely Windows 7, Ubuntu (13.10) and Kali. I've done dual booting before with Win 7 and Ubuntu but I never tried adding another OS, triple booting.

Should I install Win 7 and Ubuntu first then Kali or what should be the order? I planned out the following hard disk space as follows

Windows 7- 100gb
    Ubuntu 13.10 - 50gb
    Kali - 50gb

Hoping for a reply or tips thanks!

I've triple booted before and i've had no issues.

When i triple boot, i can install in the order i want, no problems.

Hopefully you can do the same.

Ok my friend you have your hdd distribution as I can see:
    Windows 7- 100gb
    Ubuntu 13.10 - 50gb
    Kali - 50gb

You need the swap partion, so make some room for it (about 1.5gb)

If noobie, yes, first windows then any linux OS. The last Linux OS you install wil be the one to boot.

t

Would this partition scheme be okay?
    Windows 7- 100gb
    Ubuntu 13.10
    boot-500mb
    home+system files- 50gb
    Swap- 4gb
    Kali- just install it on a 50gb space? Am correct on this one or I should manually partition it again?

5. Should be fine, just remember you can have only 4 primary partitions, but as many extended partitions as you'd like.
    Fact, Science and the Pursuit of Knowledge. Working to secure your networks from threats; Outside and Within.

done installing windows 7 and ubuntu, but seems the Kali ISO i've downloaded is corrupt. I've already placed it in the usb (live boot) but it still looks for the CD-ROM during installation.

Use one of the 2 methods described in http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...ve-usb-install

I highly recommend the dd command method.

2 things, and I'm very sorry I did not answer your post before as to distribution of HDD.

You are noobie, so I would strongly suggest not to use a separate boot partition. I belive it is too late, but I would redo the partitions avoiding /boot, /temp, /var as separate partitions.

Noobie? do /home and /.

Separate partitions are excused sometimes when HDD capacity is limited, when you have special needs and when the /var keeps growing and diminishing the partition space. But /boot? It stays static as to disk space. Even in a grub recovery, using /boot, if noobie, you will need to change the path in recovery methods, something easy for intermediate or advanced user. Do you have special needs to do so?

Temps files are cleaned out after reebooting, so I do not see the reason to leave it as a separate partition. The /var, well, not me, but it can be done. There will be cases where you might find yourself in need to do so (/var). Do you have that need?

So, again, if noobie, do not do something you don't know why that's done "this or that way".

The swap leave it as 1.5 gb. No need for more. The swap partition is used when physical memory is running out. But even so, it looks (before using swap) the Virtual memory such as the HDD cache to use it.
    If that is not enough, looks to see another cache available. If no other cache available, it goes for the swap partition.

Another use of swap is when you put the system in "Suspend" mode, it records the OS state so when it comes up again, it leaves the system as it was before suspension.

It's up to you my friend.

Sorry for the late reply, I just finished installing Kali along side Ubuntu and Windows.

I use the gparted tool in ubuntu to free up some space (roughly 50gb). Since I encountered a problem with a live usb tool, I decided to buy a blank DVD and burn the kali.iso. I decided to choose the guided- use the largest continous free space.

As expected I can boot into Windows 7 and Kali after installation but not to ubuntu, so what I did is that I installed EasyBCD and added the Ubuntu to the boot menu. Now I can enter Ubuntu, I used the grub customizer to update the grub so I can choose between Kali, Ubuntu and Windows 7. I have to note that when I enter the ubuntu thru EasyBCD, I'm directed to the grub menu with the choice of booting Ubuntu, Kali and Windows 7. Not sure if I should uninstall EasyBCD and just rely on grub.

And after installation I observed that I can't load some webpages properly through kali (I have this problem with ubuntu as well) and I've already disabled the IPV6 configuration. Btw I posted this using the windows OS because I can't load sites properly in the linux distros

I'm using a single swap btw around 7.7gb (approx 8gb same size of my RAM).