Thread: - The best Alfa USB Wireless Card for Kali/Backtrack -

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

- The best Alfa USB Wireless Card for Kali/Backtrack -

Hey guys back again with the SAME question. I still haven't bought an adapter

In the past we talked about these:

AWUS036NH (newer b/g/n version)
    AWUS036NHA (newer b/g/n Atheros version)

People said that the first one. The 'AWUS036NH' was unbeatable in terms of range.
    Though, however the 'AWUS036NHA' was far better at deauth and grabbing handshakes more reliably in low db (decibel) situations (even as low as 10db).

Now, neither of these cards are Dual-band cards. That means they only support up to 150Mbps.

The: AWUS051NH is a Dual-band card that operates at a/b/g/n and at 150Mbps and 300Mbps.
    Though, however there is almost no information that I can find on how well it works with Kali. I have found a post that it's plug and play and works fine, but that there are issues getting all the bands. Though depending on the location I am pretty sure there's a bit of legal-issues involved there anyway. In addition apparently this model is discontinued? (See 'Step 2'). But I can still find it around on some sites.

In addition to this there's also this newer: AWUS036NHR V2
    Though, however I cannot find ANYWHERE any sort of decent description as to what the difference is between the newer and older models. Except that apparently the older model was terrible for packet injection and etc. and had a horrible lifespan. Plus that the new V2 model has a different driver. Though there is no proven or even really any written info that it works with Kali out of the box, or what it's strengths and weaknesses are.

Cards that I have not, and will not mention:

1. AWUS036H - (the non-[b]n[/n]) variant, older adapter. Apparently it has the best range of any of the cards. But doesn't support 'n'. So I'm not even going to mention it.
    2. AWUS036NHR - This thing apparently has massive driver issues, and is 100x more trouble than it's worth. Also an overwhelming amount of people returned them for just the NH.

So the breakdown here is:

1. AWUS036NH:
    Pros - Cheap (about £32), comes bundled with some Antennas etc. Is Plug-and-play with Kali and apparently is unbeatable in terms of best range for ('n' series adapter).
    Cons - Apparently can't deauth and grab handshakes as well as the NHA model. No dual-band 5Ghz.

2. AWUS036NHA:
    Pros - Same price basically, although a little more expensive. Newer. Apparently the best at deauth and grabbing handshakes, even in really low signals.
    Cons - Doesn't come with the added antennas. Doesn't have as good range as the NH. No dual-band 5Ghz.

3. AWUS051NH:
    Pros - Dual-band 5Ghz.
    Cons - Reliability/Compatibility unknown with Kali? Apparently discontinued? Only 500mw. Expensive (about £40)

4. AWUS036NHR V2:
    Pros - ??????????
    Cons - Unknown compatibility & performance?? Don't know anything about this card, cannot find any useful info on it anywhere.

So my question guys obviously is, which of these is the best?

I mean at this point it seems obvious that the 'NH' is best for range, whilst still being able to use the 'n' wireless standard.
    The 'NHA' is better for cracking and such, but lacks the range. (Some people have reported the range as being terrible)
    The '51NH' is dual-band and supports 5Ghz wireless and 300Mpbs but little to nothing is known about it at all.

I'm still pretty confused. As I want of course the best all-rounder, and I wish there was something that had awesome range, fast deauth and handshake and also of course was dual-band. Which is why the latter '51NH' doesn't seem like it would be a bad choice. But it's quite a shot in the dark at this point. Whilst it seems to work, and there is even that linked tutorial on how it works, and the writer swears by it. I am still not convinced.

Can we get some discussion up in here?

P.S. I tried really hard to accurately and helpfully label the devices to avoid confusion because there is really a lot of them.
    P.P.S. Please don't bother mentioning the older 'H' ('g' mode only) and 'NHR' (total headache for Kali/Backtrack) as the former will barely appeal to anyone and no one in the right mind would purchase the latter.

Warmest regards
    Last edited by Leijonasisu; 2013-11-10 at 21:48.