Thread: - The best Alfa USB Wireless Card for Kali/Backtrack -

- The best Alfa USB Wireless Card for Kali/Backtrack -

Hey guys back again with the SAME question. I still haven't bought an adapter

In the past we talked about these:

AWUS036NH (newer b/g/n version)
    AWUS036NHA (newer b/g/n Atheros version)

People said that the first one. The 'AWUS036NH' was unbeatable in terms of range.
    Though, however the 'AWUS036NHA' was far better at deauth and grabbing handshakes more reliably in low db (decibel) situations (even as low as 10db).

Now, neither of these cards are Dual-band cards. That means they only support up to 150Mbps.

The: AWUS051NH is a Dual-band card that operates at a/b/g/n and at 150Mbps and 300Mbps.
    Though, however there is almost no information that I can find on how well it works with Kali. I have found a post that it's plug and play and works fine, but that there are issues getting all the bands. Though depending on the location I am pretty sure there's a bit of legal-issues involved there anyway. In addition apparently this model is discontinued? (See 'Step 2'). But I can still find it around on some sites.

In addition to this there's also this newer: AWUS036NHR V2
    Though, however I cannot find ANYWHERE any sort of decent description as to what the difference is between the newer and older models. Except that apparently the older model was terrible for packet injection and etc. and had a horrible lifespan. Plus that the new V2 model has a different driver. Though there is no proven or even really any written info that it works with Kali out of the box, or what it's strengths and weaknesses are.

Cards that I have not, and will not mention:

1. AWUS036H - (the non-[b]n[/n]) variant, older adapter. Apparently it has the best range of any of the cards. But doesn't support 'n'. So I'm not even going to mention it.
    2. AWUS036NHR - This thing apparently has massive driver issues, and is 100x more trouble than it's worth. Also an overwhelming amount of people returned them for just the NH.

So the breakdown here is:

1. AWUS036NH:
    Pros - Cheap (about £32), comes bundled with some Antennas etc. Is Plug-and-play with Kali and apparently is unbeatable in terms of best range for ('n' series adapter).
    Cons - Apparently can't deauth and grab handshakes as well as the NHA model. No dual-band 5Ghz.

2. AWUS036NHA:
    Pros - Same price basically, although a little more expensive. Newer. Apparently the best at deauth and grabbing handshakes, even in really low signals.
    Cons - Doesn't come with the added antennas. Doesn't have as good range as the NH. No dual-band 5Ghz.

3. AWUS051NH:
    Pros - Dual-band 5Ghz.
    Cons - Reliability/Compatibility unknown with Kali? Apparently discontinued? Only 500mw. Expensive (about £40)

4. AWUS036NHR V2:
    Pros - ??????????
    Cons - Unknown compatibility & performance?? Don't know anything about this card, cannot find any useful info on it anywhere.

So my question guys obviously is, which of these is the best?

I mean at this point it seems obvious that the 'NH' is best for range, whilst still being able to use the 'n' wireless standard.
    The 'NHA' is better for cracking and such, but lacks the range. (Some people have reported the range as being terrible)
    The '51NH' is dual-band and supports 5Ghz wireless and 300Mpbs but little to nothing is known about it at all.

I'm still pretty confused. As I want of course the best all-rounder, and I wish there was something that had awesome range, fast deauth and handshake and also of course was dual-band. Which is why the latter '51NH' doesn't seem like it would be a bad choice. But it's quite a shot in the dark at this point. Whilst it seems to work, and there is even that linked tutorial on how it works, and the writer swears by it. I am still not convinced.

Can we get some discussion up in here?

P.S. I tried really hard to accurately and helpfully label the devices to avoid confusion because there is really a lot of them.
    P.P.S. Please don't bother mentioning the older 'H' ('g' mode only) and 'NHR' (total headache for Kali/Backtrack) as the former will barely appeal to anyone and no one in the right mind would purchase the latter.

Warmest regards
    Last edited by Leijonasisu; 2013-11-10 at 21:48.

Right here is a link to buy v2 you could also check ebay lol.

http://store.rokland.com/products/al...-5-dbi-antenna
    Smile while you can for in the future there my be nothing to smile about.
    申し訳ありませんが、これは翻訳することができませんでした。

I have an ALFA 36NHR and it crashed by computer while being a pain to get the right drivers. I have to install, uninstall, check off the windows auto update function so I can manually install the driver from the CD. Then once I finally got it working, Windows 7 crashed. Haven't tried it with 8 yet because I got a different card all together....

Right meow I have the 36H as being the most reliable and like you said, best range. But the range can be fied with a new antenna on ones with less of a range.

I also got a TP-Link with an atheros chipset, which worked seamlessly, so I figured I'll switch to an 'upgraded' alfa card, the 36NHA as it had the same chipset..........oh man, started having the same problems as I did with the 36NHR . Fix for me is to have it unplugged though when i boot up my physical machine and and my virtual windows 7. Give me a tough time when I try to switch between Kali and Windows (virtual) and with occasionally break resulting in an unplug and plug and a disconnect/connect back to the guest.
    Also, I now have problems with my TP-Link WN722N card (maybe there are compatibility issues now?)
    I'm gonna look into the AWUS036NH now though.

Quote Originally Posted by polyphemus View Post
    I have an ALFA [B]36NHR
    Do you have the V2 tho?
    Smile while you can for in the future there my be nothing to smile about.
    申し訳ありませんが、これは翻訳することができませんでした。

I don't, and I don't want to fork out anymore money for another card unless I can get confirmation that it works without causing driver conflicts on windows resulting in the old blue screen of death (yes, it still exists on windows 7 and 8 haha - only see it with the wireless driver conflicts though)

@ polyphemus my nhr works great with win7 , on the install cd there are two win 7 drivers. I take the second and it works very well
    only on kali linux i have many problems with this card, so i take for wireless pentesting the alfa neh

greetz ghostofaaron

Quote Originally Posted by polyphemus View Post
    I don't want to fork out anymore money for another card unless I can get confirmation that it works without causing driver conflicts on windows
    You're asking pioneer questions. Unless your target only broadcasts in 5ghz, the NH and NHA work fine.

hello,
    I have the alfa awus036nhr v2, and im up for suggestions and tests with kali if anyone's interested in telling me what to do being new to this field

what i can tell you is that it is actually plug and play using the 8192cu driver, i have tried installing the latest compat driver noobishly, (no patching or advanced stuff before) but sadly it broke my video.
    So does anyone want me to show any interesting test results or outputs with this very controversial adapter?

could you give us the results of
    Code:
    lsusb
    Code:
    airmon-ng
    Code:
    iw dev phy
    and then tell us what happen after turning on mode monitor

Code:
    airmon-ng start wlanX
    Code:
    aireplay-ng -9 monX

Smile

Sorry for the delay guys. Here are the outputs of the above commands and a few notes of my own:

lsusb:

Code:
    root@kali:~# lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0bda:817f Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188RU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:b2e2 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 046d:c06a Logitech, Inc. 
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 09da:0260 A4 Tech Co., Ltd
    airmon-ng:

Code:
    root@kali:~# airmon-ng 

Interface	Chipset		Driver

wlan0		Atheros AR9485	ath9k - [phy0]
    wlan1		Unknown 	rtl8192cu - [phy1]
    iw dev wlan1 scan: (when associated to a network)

Code:
    root@kali:~# iw dev wlan1 scan
    BSS c8:3a:35:53:7b:28 (on wlan1) -- associated
    	TSF: 1079198965 usec (0d, 00:17:59)
    	freq: 2447
    	beacon interval: 100
    	capability: ESS Privacy ShortSlotTime (0x0411)
    	signal: -48.00 dBm
    	Information elements from Probe Response frame:
    	SSID: test_network
    	Supported rates: 1.0* 2.0* 5.5 11.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 54.0 
    	DS Parameter set: channel 8
    	ERP: <no flags>
    	RSN:	 * Version: 1
    		 * Group cipher: TKIP
    		 * Pairwise ciphers: CCMP TKIP
    		 * Authentication suites: PSK
    		 * Capabilities: 16-PTKSA-RC (0x000c)
    	Extended supported rates: 6.0 9.0 12.0 48.0 
    	HT capabilities:
    		Capabilities: 0x187e
    			HT20/HT40
    			SM Power Save disabled
    			RX Greenfield
    			RX HT20 SGI
    			RX HT40 SGI
    			No RX STBC
    			Max AMSDU length: 7935 bytes
    			DSSS/CCK HT40
    		Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)
    		Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 8 usec (0x06)
    		HT RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-7
    		HT TX MCS rate indexes are undefined
    	HT operation:
    		 * primary channel: 8
    		 * secondary channel offset: below
    		 * STA channel width: any
    		 * RIFS: 1
    		 * HT protection: no
    		 * non-GF present: 1
    		 * OBSS non-GF present: 0
    		 * dual beacon: 0
    		 * dual CTS protection: 0
    		 * STBC beacon: 0
    		 * L-SIG TXOP Prot: 0
    		 * PCO active: 0
    		 * PCO phase: 0
    	WMM:	 * Parameter version 1
    		 * BE: CW 15-1023, AIFSN 3
    		 * BK: CW 15-1023, AIFSN 7
    		 * VI: CW 7-15, AIFSN 2, TXOP 3008 usec
    		 * VO: CW 3-7, AIFSN 2, TXOP 1504 usec
    airmon-ng start wlan1:

Code:
    root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan1

Interface	Chipset		Driver

wlan0		Atheros AR9485	ath9k - [phy0]
    wlan1		Unknown 	rtl8192cu - [phy1]
    				(monitor mode enabled on mon0)
    aireplay-ng -9 mon0:

Code:
    root@kali:~# aireplay-ng -9 mon0
    10:17:38  Trying broadcast probe requests...
    10:17:40  No Answer...
    10:17:40  Found 0 APs
    This one I added myself, in hopes of it being useful. I think it is :O

aireplay-ng -9 -e test_network -a C8:3A:35:53:7B:28 -i wlan0 wlan1:

Code:
    root@kali:~# aireplay-ng -9 -e test_network -a C8:3A:35:53:7B:28 -i wlan0 wlan1

10:22:54  Waiting for beacon frame (BSSID: C8:3A:35:53:7B:28) on channel 8
    10:22:54  Trying broadcast probe requests...
    10:22:55  Injection is working!
    10:22:56  Found 1 AP 

10:22:56  Trying directed probe requests...
    10:22:56  C8:3A:35:53:7B:28 - channel: 8 - 'test_network
    10:22:57  Ping (min/avg/max): 9.032ms/35.387ms/70.948ms Power: -40.63
    10:22:57  30/30: 100%

10:22:57  Trying card-to-card injection...
    10:22:57  Attack -0:           OK
    10:22:57  Attack -1 (open):    OK
    10:22:57  Attack -1 (psk):     OK
    10:22:58  Attack -2/-3/-4/-6:  OK
    10:22:58  Attack -5/-7:        OK
    The TX-power is 20dB as you may have noticed. It would be nice to get it to work at 33dB.
    Patiently awaiting your insight my dudes.

hello,
    I have the AWUS051NH I have been using it on bt5 with no problems at all just plug and inject.
    have been playing with on kali and the results are pretty good with one exception the negative 1 error that aircrack-ng has.
    when using the --ignore-negative-one option the card is on channel -1. tried patching and updates but cant get the patch to work if any one can help it would be appreciated.

having said that if i bring the interface down and set it on a channel it works.

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:2770 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2770 Wireless Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Code:
    root@kali:~# airmon-ng

Interface    Chipset        Driver

wlan0        Ralink RT2870/3070    rt2800usb - [phy0]
    Code:
    root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan0

Found 3 processes that could cause trouble.
    If airodump-ng, aireplay-ng or airtun-ng stops working after
    a short period of time, you may want to kill (some of) them!
    -e 
    PID    Name
    1943    dhclient
    2304    NetworkManager
    3171    wpa_supplicant

Interface    Chipset        Driver

wlan0        Ralink RT2870/3070    rt2800usb - [phy0]
                    (monitor mode enabled on mon0)
    Code:
    root@kali:~# aireplay-ng -9 mon0
    08:13:24  Trying broadcast probe requests...
    08:13:26  No Answer...
    08:13:26  Found 0 APs
    Code:
    root@kali:~# aireplay-ng -9 -e testnet -a 64:70:02:A0:B6:89 mon0 
    08:15:57  Waiting for beacon frame (BSSID: 64:70:02:A0:B6:89) on channel -1
    08:15:57  Couldn't determine current channel for mon0, you should either force the operation with --ignore-negative-one or apply a kernel patch
    brought it down and set the channel

Code:
    root@kali:~# aireplay-ng -9 -e testnet -a 64:70:02:A0:B6:89 mon0 
    08:21:14  Waiting for beacon frame (BSSID: 64:70:02:A0:B6:89) on channel 6
    08:21:14  Trying broadcast probe requests...
    08:21:14  Injection is working!
    08:21:16  Found 1 AP 

08:21:16  Trying directed probe requests...
    08:21:16  64:70:02:A0:B6:89 - channel: 6 - 'testnet'
    08:21:17  Ping (min/avg/max): 2.702ms/17.840ms/161.804ms Power: -39.00
    08:21:17  30/30: 100%

wow this thread asks exactly what i am looking to find out for myself.....i was looking for an alfa card that i could interchange with my kali laptop and mt new build desktop. i WAS leaning toward the Alfa AWUS036NHA because i found one on amazon that sells it with both antennas ( http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NH...lfa+AWUS036NHA ) was also looking at another antenna that was 9dbi ( http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-OMNI-Dire..._bxgy_pc_img_z ) but i cant seem to find what kind of antenna connector is on the 36NHA to even see if that antenna would work or not.

I shall be following this thread and see what others experiences are. I'm curious about any ones experience with the Alfa AWUS036NHA tho as this seems to be the most logical choice but then again logic does not always add up in the real world especially in the software world.

EDIT:
    found the antenna type 1 x 2.4Ghz RP-SMA connector http://www.alfanetwork.no/awus036nh.html so i guess that 9 dbi antena would work with the Alfa AWUS036NHA

EDIT2:
    after reading the whole specifications and product description on the link with the antenna specs there is linux install instructions there as well....all tho I am unsure for what distro perhaps this would help some one that may have issues with this card?
    Last edited by korn16ftl3; 2014-01-19 at 02:32.

I have BOTH of these adapters. Both appear to be perfectly PnP in Kali-Linux. If I plug in my AWUS036NH the Linux reports the Realtek chip RTL8187 with driver RTL8187 on wlan0. If I plug in my AWUS051NH Linux reports a Ralink 2870/3070 chip with driver RT2800USB and firmware RT2870.bin. From this I gather that both AP's are loading properly with the correct drivers.

Both adapters enter monitor mode. Both adapters acquire handshakes and seem to perform all the other aircrack-ng functions pretty much equally. I suppose I could say that the 051 might attract more access points than the 036 but honestly, moving either of them closer to the window that is closer to the building next door produces a more noticeable improvement!!

Neither of them will work well at loading web pages or downloading files unless the originating signal is a good strong one, so while it may be fun to identify a far distant router, the only practical way to make use of that information is to move closer to the router!

If you have a good strong signal I suppose I could say that speeds are better with the 051, but I don't think I gained a lot by getting the 051 that my existing 036 didn't already do.

i have AWUS036NH.
    deauth is working perfect.
    but
    {EDIT}{airbase-ng is doing problems i cannot connect to soft ap......}
    airbase-ng now working perfect using PwnSTAR 9.
    Last edited by mianharisali; 2014-01-24 at 06:44.

How much of a difference do you guys see between 5dbi vs 9dbi? Is that extra 4dbi worth it?

I have both the 1 NH and 2 NHA, I have had the NHA 6 months longer than the NH. Both with 5 dbi and 9 dbi antenna's the same ones obviously and both 1 (14dbi) amped wireless and 1 (14 Dbi) hawkings Directional patch antenna's, 1 (66FT) usb cable 1 (16FT) usb cable and 1 (5Ft) A-male (2x) to mini-B-male. Now given I have tested these 2 adapters on the same machine against my router with the same variables antennas and cables on both usb 2.0 and 3.0 usb ports and so on, The (NH) Ralink has proven to be more versatile and dependable than the NHA. The reason why isnt the signal strength its the stability and support, the Ralink NH model has better driver support the NHA in windows. they both can see the same amount of signals and although the NH has a better signal strength the NHA is more sensitive so will still produce the same performance. For example I can have 2 to 3 less bars signal strength with the NHA and still have the same upload and download as the NH with all bars @ 100% signal strength. For those whom have had issues with the NHA atheros alfa in windows 7, windows has some crappy drivers that havent been updated and every now and then botches the NHA on reboot causing you to have to re insert the adapter a guy named the Stilt over at Xtreme Systems has made a update iso image with updated system drivers that I my self run and can say they work with that alfa real good. In kali linux they with the extra hardware I have antennas usb's and such they both behave nearly Identical the NH has a slight edge advantage in my honest opinion.

Just bought and started using the NHA you mentioned and absolutely love it! Has no problem with deauth or grabbing handshakes, but I am pretty new to pen testing,

Also accidentally bought an NHR -.- heard horrible things about it though so haven't taken it out of the box.. Anyone want it? Aha

Quote Originally Posted by nafets View Post
    How much of a difference do you guys see between 5dbi vs 9dbi? Is that extra 4dbi worth it?
    its funny, but i have both antennas and on a 036H and i really dont see a diff....

I am still confused as to which adapter to purchase, is there any definite answer as to which is best?

The "best" does not exist

Quote Originally Posted by nafets View Post
    Did a bit of reading up on this matter myself before deciding which way to go. Apparently there is little or no gain with the 9bi compared to the 5
    and that the 7dbi Alfa directional antenna is actually better than the 9. This was the advice I got from the seller and from another website that
    conducted tests on several cards/antennas. The seller lost some money but for his honesty I saved some.

Rab.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Did a bit of reading up on this matter myself before deciding which way to go. Apparently there is little or no gain with the 9bi compared to the 5
    and that the 7dbi Alfa directional antenna is actually better than the 9. This was the advice I got from the seller and from another website that
    conducted tests on several cards/antennas. The seller lost some money but for his honesty I saved some.

Rab.
    I've seen comments stating that the 7dbi Alfa directional antenna may strengthen a connection but show little to now difference in range. Anyone compared the 7dbi Alfa directional antenna with a regular 5 or 9?

Quote Originally Posted by kcdtv View Post
    The "best" does not exist
    Tru
    So basically buy them all.

I want a bedroom pin up poster of all the Alfas lined up.
    Glittering in the light, some with/without the anntenna plugged in.
    RFPorn

this is how you would just about double the TX-power...

#ifconfig wlan0 down
    #iw reg set BO
    #ifconfig wlan0 up

Check your wireless card status and it will go up to at least 35dB

I have the NH alfa card and you're right it seems to not inject packets or establish a 3-way handshake very well, but if I use like airplay-ng and wait until I've captured enough traffic I can then usually crack a network. I also have a 15GB password file...definitely helps

This doesn't really do anything for my card Rocketballz... however, the following thread did help some: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ignal-Strength

The 2nd method posted by Hitman worked for my card with the following changes: on the last command I had to specify "mW", e.g. iwocnfig wlan0 txpower 60mW

ifconfig wlan0 down
    iw reg set BO
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 channel 13
    iwconfig wlan0 txpower 30

I'm using AWUS036NHR v.2

So does the AWUS036NHR V2 work out of the box with the latest Kali Linux version, or does it need some manual work but then works, or does it only certain things but not really usable? What is working, what not?

Howdie,
    I use the AWUS036NH and its great! When I've used it for WIFI cracking I've hit errors with RF Kill but that can be fixed by putting the card into monitor mode and before I start sniffing the air I type rfkill unblock wifi then type in the airodump-ng command and have no issues. Let us know which card you end up buying and your thoughts on it!

Worked out of the box for me... no updates or manual intervention required.

did somebody has any experience when using Metasploit in those alfa adapter?
    73 68 61 35 31 32

I made some tests of some of the cards (the 36H, 36NH, 36NEH and also the TP-Link card, the TL-WN722N), comparing the sensitivity between them. is this helpful info? Would it be useful if it included more cards? The tests are at
    http://rooftopbazaar.com/wirelesscards/

Thanks Jocelyn fot your work very nicely presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Joycelyn View Post
    I made some tests of some of the cards (the 36H, 36NH, 36NEH and also the TP-Link card, the TL-WN722N), comparing the sensitivity between them. is this helpful info? Would it be useful if it included more cards? The tests are at
    hi
    perfect job
    +1

i want to buy wifistation ext but i dont know if its working on kali or not
    it is very powerful divice but i dont want to pay somthing i dont know if it working

I love thealfa awus036H, I have yet to run into any compatibility issues. It does a good job for injecting packets. And best of all...It's a very reasonable priced card. It works on my Android, PC, and Raspberrypi

Quote Originally Posted by Joycelyn View Post
    i don't know how long i've spent reading through the interwebz for suitable adapters for aircrack/linux. i imagine i've wasted a lot of time. then i found your site and after reading through your tests, i was able to decide on a couple cards. now i can go back to a normal life. thank you.

so, i could really use some help. i recently purchased the 036nha and i am running kali on a samsung chromebook. now, when i plug in the alfa and run ifconfig i get nothing. almost likemit is hung. the light on the nha stays solid the wholetime and if i leave it in for to long my screen freezes up and i have to do a hard reset. when i run airmon-ng same thing happens. there is no output. when i run lsusb it gives me this:
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2232:1037
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:3503 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

i have the NHA its awesome at grabbing wpa handshakes and cracking passwords

Alfa AWUS036NH not working in kali 1.1.0
    When you plug it you get wlan0 and one minute after it disconnects and reconnects. And if you try to put it in monitor mode you get a kernel panic.

Ok I think that my problem could be a usb power problem. I found something similar here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2272407&page=3
    I was crazy changing drivers.

Hi All,
    I really need experts help. I bought a new nano wifi USB which is RANZ. When I checked lsusb in my kali linux it gave me as Bus 001 Device 002: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp(I hope its RT2780). I went through few sites and I tried to configure the driver and it never worked. I am totally helpless and I really need experts help to configure.

Once somehow I was able to configure but, my device didn't work. Which means it never scanned for available networks.

Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    Manju(Bangalore, India)

Hi,

I have a Alfa AWUS036NHA USB wireless adapter. I'm currently using the standard 5dbi antenna that comes with it. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be providing the signal strength that I am looking for. I can get the 9dbi antenna but not sure if it will make such a difference. Currently getting between 12 - 24db in an airodump session and wanting/hoping to be able to increase that if possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello guys & girls,

I am currently having an issue with ALFA AWUS036H.

My system is as follows: Lenovo U530 8gb RAM 4th gen i7-4500U running Windows 8.1 Enterprise.
    I have also installed VirtualBox 4.2 and I am currently running Kali Linux 1.1

I tried looking for ALFA AWUS036H drivers for windows 8 but I have had no luck. I tried the support page of ALFA but the company only carries drivers for windows xp/7/vista , linux, and mac.

This is what I have done so far:

Option A:tried installing ALFA AWUS036H into windows 8 but as I mentioned before, no drivers exist for windows 8.

Option B: tried installing ALFA AWUS036H into kali linux virtual machine on virtualBox. I tried initiating the USB device in order for Kali Linux to read the ALFA AWUS036H installation wizard(CD) but either kali linux virtual machine and/or virtual box was not reading the external cd drive that has the ALFA AWUS036H installation wizard.

Option C: I will go to my local electronic store and purchase a LINKSYS WirelessAC USB 3.0 Adapter model: WUSB6300 and try to install this adapter to my laptop.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I also apologize if this reply is not appropriate for this thread. Admins, I will gladly move my concerns to another thread if I have to.

Have a great day guys!

Quote Originally Posted by mattdt View Post
    Hi,

I have a Alfa AWUS036NHA USB wireless adapter. I'm currently using the standard 5dbi antenna that comes with it. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be providing the signal strength that I am looking for. I can get the 9dbi antenna but not sure if it will make such a difference. Currently getting between 12 - 24db in an airodump session and wanting/hoping to be able to increase that if possible. Any help would be appreciated.
    mattdt,

How does your set up look like? I am asking because I have not been able to successfully install a wifi adapter to my virtual machine.

Complete newbie here just wanting to get setup. I'm running a Macbook Pro with OS X and KaliLinux on Virtualbox and since it seems everyone involved with pen testing use these special cards rather than the internal card so I was wondering what would be the most suitable for my situation and setup?

Hi.
    Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter!
    I have Alfa card too, but this one is very small, easy to use and portable...
    Working just fine with Kali (include injection).

http://www.amazon.com/Panda-300Mbps-.../dp/B00EQT0YK2

Hey Sam. Thanks for the reply. Are you on a Mac too then? My main worry is I'm going to buy something and it won't work or be detected. I haven't found any MacBook users out there running Kali Linux on a virtual box so it's rough to get advice on external network adapters specific to that.

My other concern is that it won't be powerful enough for my needs. I don't mind spending out on an external if it'll be faster/better. I pretty much want the best thing out there possible that will work with my setup.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by big_sam View Post
    Hi.
    Panda 300Mbps Wireless N USB Adapter!
    I have Alfa card too, but this one is very small, easy to use and portable...
    Working just fine with Kali (include injection).

http://www.amazon.com/Panda-300Mbps-.../dp/B00EQT0YK2

Same card here (and also PAU03, PAU04 and PAU06, all using rt2800usb).
    Question: does yours exhibit a lot of "Tx excessive retries" and "Invalid misc"? Mine does, in addition to very unstable throughput, which drives me crazy because I can't get to the bottom of it :(

Code:
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"ABC"  
              Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 11:22:33:44:55:66   
              Bit Rate=65 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=67/70  Signal level=-43 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:1351  Invalid misc:92   Missed beacon:0

# ping -f 192.168.1.2
    PING 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
    .....................................................................^C
    --- 192.168.1.2 ping statistics ---
    2122 packets transmitted, 2053 received, 3% packet loss, time 7606ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.518/3.351/83.102/5.194 ms, pipe 6, ipg/ewma 3.586/2.752 ms

# ping -f 192.168.1.2
    PING 192.168.1.2 (192.168.1.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
    ............................................................................^C
    --- 192.168.1.2 ping statistics ---
    4621 packets transmitted, 4545 received, 1% packet loss, time 13887ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.530/2.706/34.154/2.318 ms, pipe 2, ipg/ewma 3.005/2.998 ms
    #

How about the AWUS036NHR v2 ? Has somebody tested on Kali 2.0 ? Is it better than AWUS036NHA ? I mean with packet injection ?

Quote Originally Posted by lego10 View Post
    How about the AWUS036NHR v2 ? Has somebody tested on Kali 2.0 ? Is it better than AWUS036NHA ? I mean with packet injection ?
    It doesn't look too good: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...R-v2-on-Kali-2

Quote Originally Posted by lego10 View Post
    Good wireless adapter 802.11 b/g/n. Long range and working fast. But there are some problems with the driver, sometimes automatically disconnect and crash the computer. Working in "monitor mode", but again with problems.
    Chipset: Realtek RTL8188RU

http://www.cyberprogrammers.net/2015...terscards.html