Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: How to install Kali with EFI and dualboot on Macbook Pro

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    7

    How to install Kali with EFI and dualboot on Macbook Pro

    I see a lot of people having trouble installing Kali with OSX on their Macbooks. These are the steps I took to do it, hopefully this will help some people out. If people have success with this method, I hope someone will make a better guide, maybe with some pictures to help others with the process...

    1) Download and install rEFInd (http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html)

    2) Download the Kali ISO and burn it to a DVD.

    3) Install SuperGrubDisk2 to Fat32 formatted USB drive (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/) using DD in OSX. In the terminal on an administrator account, use "sudo dd if="DRAG SGD ISO HERE" of=/dev/diskN bs=1m". /dev/diskN is the disk number of your USB drive. Your internal hdd is usually /dev/disk0. My USB was /dev/disk1.

    4) Using the disk utility in OSX, create a msdos (fat) partition for your Kali filesystem.

    5) Reboot your laptop, and boot Kali (recovery mode) from the disk.

    6) Start the Kali installer, proceed as normal to disk partitioning.

    7) Choose the manual partitioning option.

    8) /dev/sda1 will be a preexisting EFI System Partiton and the installer should automatically select this to be used as the EFI System Partition for the install. The next partition(s) will be your OSX filesystem and likely an OSX recovery partition. Select the partition you created in step 3, and make it an ext4 filesystem mounted as "/". This will be your Kali filesystem. Make note of the partition number, you will need it later. Create a swap partition if you please.

    9) Install the Kali filesystem.

    10) Install grub to your Kali filesystem partition (/dev/sdaN). N being the disk number you made note of in step 7.

    11) Finish installation and reboot

    12) Boot into the SuperGrubDisk2 USB you created in step 2. Select the option to use a grub.conf file and select the grub.conf file on your Kali partition. Next highlight Kali (recovery mode) and press "e" to edit the grub.conf file before booting. At the end of the kernel boot line add the option "nouveau.modeset=0" and press F10 to boot into Kali.

    13) Open a terminal and use the following:

    a) "mkdir /boot/efi"
    b) "mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi"
    c) "apt-get install grub-efi-amd64"
    d) "grub-install"
    e) "update-grub"

    14) Install the Nvidia driver for your discrete graphics card using the instructions provided in the Kali documentation (http://docs.kali.org/general-use/ins...-on-kali-linux)

    15) Reboot and enjoy
    Last edited by Beasleyboy; 2014-02-28 at 10:25 AM.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for putting this together. I went through the steps, but I'm still unsuccessful in booting into Kali from the rEFInd boot menu.

    I'm assuming you are using the 2.0 beta version of SuperGrubDisk2 as the 1.X version does not have an option to boot using F10. Adding the nouveau.modeset=0 line to the conf file didn't appear to do anything for me as I'm still getting the no boot disk error after installing grub from the terminal. Also, you forgot the hyphen in 13)e) "update-grub".

    Edit: I think I may have missed a space in the "mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi" command so I'll see if this helps.

    Thanks!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8
    Can someone please offer some clarification to this. I'm admittedly not great with Linux command line bit have worked very carefully thought the above steps and am dead ending at:
    12) Boot into the SuperGrubDisk2 USB you created in step 2. Select the option to use a grub.conf file and select the grub.conf file on your Kali partition. Next highlight Kali (recovery mode) and press "e" to edit the grub.conf file before booting. At the end of the kernel boot line add the option "nouveau.modeset=0" and press F10 to boot into Kali.

    When I press 'e' I get a single line pointing to a .cfg file on my Kali partition. Do I just add nouveau.modeset=0 after the .cfg? The editor won't boot with that... Also, as mentioned by the above poster, there is no f10 boot option. There is a ctrl-x to boot... My supergrubdisk2 says v1.98...

    Anyhow, if I proceed without the added option, the Kali boot hangs. If I return to refind and select Kali, it still says no bootable disk.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson72 View Post
    Thanks for putting this together. I went through the steps, but I'm still unsuccessful in booting into Kali from the rEFInd boot menu.

    I'm assuming you are using the 2.0 beta version of SuperGrubDisk2 as the 1.X version does not have an option to boot using F10. Adding the nouveau.modeset=0 line to the conf file didn't appear to do anything for me as I'm still getting the no boot disk error after installing grub from the terminal. Also, you forgot the hyphen in 13)e) "update-grub".

    Edit: I think I may have missed a space in the "mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi" command so I'll see if this helps.

    Thanks!
    Are you still having problems? Let me know if you were able to get it to work

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Medik View Post
    Can someone please offer some clarification to this. I'm admittedly not great with Linux command line bit have worked very carefully thought the above steps and am dead ending at:
    12) Boot into the SuperGrubDisk2 USB you created in step 2. Select the option to use a grub.conf file and select the grub.conf file on your Kali partition. Next highlight Kali (recovery mode) and press "e" to edit the grub.conf file before booting. At the end of the kernel boot line add the option "nouveau.modeset=0" and press F10 to boot into Kali.

    When I press 'e' I get a single line pointing to a .cfg file on my Kali partition. Do I just add nouveau.modeset=0 after the .cfg? The editor won't boot with that... Also, as mentioned by the above poster, there is no f10 boot option. There is a ctrl-x to boot... My supergrubdisk2 says v1.98...

    Anyhow, if I proceed without the added option, the Kali boot hangs. If I return to refind and select Kali, it still says no bootable disk.

    Thanks
    You need the supergrubdisk2 beta version 2.00 and above. They added EFI support
    Last edited by Beasleyboy; 2014-02-26 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Clarification

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at that.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasleyboy View Post
    Are you still having problems? Let me know if you were able to get it to work



    You need the supergrubdisk2 beta version 2.00 and above. They added EFI support
    Yep, still having problems although I think the main issue MIGHT be that I am actually trying to install Kali to an external USB HDD connceted to my Macbook Pro. I only have the 128GB SSD, so dual boot isn't an option for me.

    I finally was able to get all the way to step 13 until I try the 'grub-install' command. I get the following output:

    Fatal: Couldn't open either sysfs or procfs directories for accessing EFI variables.
    Try 'modprobe efivars' as root.
    Fatal: Couldn't open either sysfs or procfs directories for accessing EFI variables.
    Try 'modprobe efivars' as root.
    Installation finished. No error reported.


    modprobe efivars only gets the following:
    ERROR: could not insert 'efivars': No such device

    I'm close to just giving up, although it is killing me that I had Kali on an external drive before...I just forgot how I went about doing it. I don't know if something was changed in either Kali from 1.0.4 to 1.0.6 or if it's an issue with Mac OS X 10.9.1-10.9.2.

    If you can help from here, that's great but I'm losing faith that this is even possible...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Beasleyboy View Post
    Are you still having problems? Let me know if you were able to get it to work



    You need the supergrubdisk2 beta version 2.00 and above. They added EFI support
    I was having issues, but it was my fault because I was trying to install Kali to an external HDD, not the internal drive. I have the 128GB SSD, so dual boot is not an option for me...maybe when the price of SSDs drop, I will.

    At any rate, I had to modified the directions that you gave to get mine to work. Everything worked beautifully up until step 13. I had to specify the install device such as:

    grub-install --removeable /dev/sda1

    I'm not sure if the "--removeable" option is necessary, but it seemed to work. Then I used the command "update-grub /dev/sda1" and rebooted and it seems to have worked!

    Thanks a ton for your instruction, Beasleyboy!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks a lot for the instructions, Beasleyboy!

    I'm pretty new to all of this and I wanted to put out there one of the difficulties that I ran into and how I managed to fix it. I'm not totally clear what the problem was, so if anyone has an idea, please share!

    The first time I followed these instructions, it went basically without a problem. I could boot into Kali just fine from rEFInd. All was great. Then, not really knowing linux well, I ended up removing some packages that I shouldn't have and my installation started acting funny. I figured it would just be easier to reinstall and run through these instructions again.

    Not so easy the second time. Under OS X I mounted the EFI partition and removed the debian folder that was added, making the Kali EFI boot entry in the rEFInd menu disappear. Then I reformatted and installed Kali a second time. So far so good.

    My problem came when supergrubdisk2 wouldn't find anything at all. I couldn't boot Kali. I tried reinstalling grub from the liveUSB -- nope. I tried reinstalling Kali 3 different times, but nothing would make supergrubdisk2 find the Kali install.

    My solution was to find a way to run step 13 from the Kali LiveUSB, skipping the need for supergrubdisk.

    Here's what I did. It threw some errors, but it somehow worked.

    Instead of booting to supergrubdisk2, I booted to the liveUSB, then did the following:

    mount /dev/sdaN /mnt # N being the number of your Kali partition
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
    mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    chroot /mnt

    Then follow with step 13 from above. There will be a few errors when you do grub-install, but when I restarted it worked.

    I have a vague idea of what's happening here, but perhaps someone with more knowledge would be able to explain the wisdom of this approach and/or the problem I was having!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson72 View Post
    I was having issues, but it was my fault because I was trying to install Kali to an external HDD, not the internal drive. I have the 128GB SSD, so dual boot is not an option for me...maybe when the price of SSDs drop, I will.

    At any rate, I had to modified the directions that you gave to get mine to work. Everything worked beautifully up until step 13. I had to specify the install device such as:

    grub-install --removeable /dev/sda1

    I'm not sure if the "--removeable" option is necessary, but it seemed to work. Then I used the command "update-grub /dev/sda1" and rebooted and it seems to have worked!

    Thanks a ton for your instruction, Beasleyboy!
    Awesome! I'm glad you got it to work, the external HD sounds like a very interesting approach...I'll have to play around with it.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1
    Hi, first off thanks, but when I run sudo apt-get install grub-efi-amd64 I get the package is not available but it is referenced. And then a few packages that replace it are listed. This must be a very recent change or something is wrong. I am connected to wifi, did sudo apt get update but still the same. Wondering if you could help. Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •