Thread: How to install Kali with EFI and dualboot on Macbook Pro

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to install Kali with EFI and dualboot on Macbook Pro

I see a lot of people having trouble installing Kali with OSX on their Macbooks. These are the steps I took to do it, hopefully this will help some people out. If people have success with this method, I hope someone will make a better guide, maybe with some pictures to help others with the process...

1) Download and install rEFInd (http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html)

2) Download the Kali ISO and burn it to a DVD.

3) Install SuperGrubDisk2 to Fat32 formatted USB drive (http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/) using DD in OSX. In the terminal on an administrator account, use "sudo dd if="DRAG SGD ISO HERE" of=/dev/diskN bs=1m". /dev/diskN is the disk number of your USB drive. Your internal hdd is usually /dev/disk0. My USB was /dev/disk1.

4) Using the disk utility in OSX, create a msdos (fat) partition for your Kali filesystem.

5) Reboot your laptop, and boot Kali (recovery mode) from the disk.

6) Start the Kali installer, proceed as normal to disk partitioning.

7) Choose the manual partitioning option.

8) /dev/sda1 will be a preexisting EFI System Partiton and the installer should automatically select this to be used as the EFI System Partition for the install. The next partition(s) will be your OSX filesystem and likely an OSX recovery partition. Select the partition you created in step 3, and make it an ext4 filesystem mounted as "/". This will be your Kali filesystem. Make note of the partition number, you will need it later. Create a swap partition if you please.

9) Install the Kali filesystem.

10) Install grub to your Kali filesystem partition (/dev/sdaN). N being the disk number you made note of in step 7.

11) Finish installation and reboot

12) Boot into the SuperGrubDisk2 USB you created in step 2. Select the option to use a grub.conf file and select the grub.conf file on your Kali partition. Next highlight Kali (recovery mode) and press "e" to edit the grub.conf file before booting. At the end of the kernel boot line add the option "nouveau.modeset=0" and press F10 to boot into Kali.

13) Open a terminal and use the following:

a) "mkdir /boot/efi"
    b) "mount /dev/sda1 /boot/efi"
    c) "apt-get install grub-efi-amd64"
    d) "grub-install"
    e) "update-grub"

14) Install the Nvidia driver for your discrete graphics card using the instructions provided in the Kali documentation (http://docs.kali.org/general-use/ins...-on-kali-linux)

15) Reboot and enjoy
    Last edited by Beasleyboy; 2014-02-28 at 10:25.