Thread: Wifi site survey using Kali

Wifi site survey using Kali

Hi all!

I have a flat panel wifi antenna similar to these ones and i am looking for a piece of software that can draw me a map of where AP's are located.
    The idea i have is this: I want to do a site survey from a fixed location. Then turn the antenna 90° and do the same survey again. I repeat this three times. Since the antenna is (probably just slightly) directional i should see the same AP's but with different signal strenghts. I would like the software to give me an approximate location of the AP based on the difference in signal strengths from the three surveys.

Does this software exist and if so, is it available in the Kali distribution?

Thanks,

Toontje.

Quote Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
    Hi all!

I have a flat panel wifi antenna similar to these ones and i am looking for a piece of software that can draw me a map of where AP's are located.
    The idea i have is this: I want to do a site survey from a fixed location. Then turn the antenna 90° and do the same survey again. I repeat this three times. Since the antenna is (probably just slightly) directional i should see the same AP's but with different signal strenghts. I would like the software to give me an approximate location of the AP based on the difference in signal strengths from the three surveys.

Does this software exist and if so, is it available in the Kali distribution?

Thanks,

Toontje.
    I highly doubt any free software to make a map of APs exists (though there may be professional tools). The only thing I can think of is using NetSpot for Mac which basically does what you want but you can't do it from a fixed location. Also, 90° would be WAY to much for your antenna... I'm assuming a panel that large would have maybe a 30° radius. Plus, the more tests you take, the more accurate your map would be.

You could also check out Ekahau HeatMapper which may be what you're looking for, but its only available on Windows.
    Last edited by soxrok2212; 2013-11-17 at 13:35.

I was thinking about the same software, maybe it works in kali with wine

Nice tool indeed. But mostly for omnidirectional antennas. Let's see how i can put this to use.
    Thanks for the tips!

BTW, also found these tools. The spectrum analyser does what i want. ;-)
    Last edited by Toontje; 2013-11-18 at 09:29.

The only problem with the spectrum analyzer is that you need to have the WiSpy adapter, which costs between $200-500 directly from metageek, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, i found that out when i installed the tools. But a search for Free Wifi Spectrum Analyser gave me several options. At the end i found this article and went for those tools.