Thread: 802.11 Recommended Wireless Cards

Lightbulb 802.11 Recommended Wireless Cards

This isn't a support thread, or for asking for advice on a certain card. Any replies to this thread, matching these description will be removed.

There isn't a "best" card. There is whatever is right for YOU.

*Note* These are not in any type of order *Note*
    2.4GHz
    Rokland N3 ~ http://store.rokland.com/products/th...b-for-macs-pcs

Alfa AWUS036NHA ~ http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=34&ps=20

TP-Link WN722N ~ http://uk.tp-link.com/products/detai...TL-WN722N#spec v1

NOTE: You want v1 not v2

5GHz (& 2.4GHz)
    Rosewill RNX-N600UBE ~ http://www.rosewill.com/products/182...ifications.htm

Other useful links

As the price will change over time and from country to country, it's missing on purpose.
    Places that have been known to stock the mentioned cards:
    • Amazon
    • eBay
    • Google Shopping
    • Local PC shop
    • NewEgg

"No responsibility is taken for the correctness of this information." == Double check before purchasing.
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2018-02-20 at 16:38.

Old recommendation
    These cards have been disconnected by the manufacture or a newer version has been released.

2.4GHz
    Alfa AWUS036H ~ http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=34&ps=92
    *Been replaced with Alfa AWUS036NHA*

5GHz (& 2.4GHz)
    Netgear WNDA3100 v1 ~ http://www.netgear.com/home/products...#tab-techspecs
    *Since the release of v2, very hard to get hold of these. v2 has a complete different chipset and isn't recommend at all*
    Last edited by g0tmi1k; 2013-12-22 at 15:22.

I have the following adapters connected to a 40 feet outdoor antenna with an indoor 5W wifi amplifier

1.AWUS036NH

Good packet injecter

Strong Signal Strength for most AP

Connects to most access points

Was not able to connect to some access points despite excellent signal strength

Generates alot of heat

about 20-25 AP detected with direct connection to amplifier (no cabling)

plug n play in kali and bt 5 r3

2.AWUS036NHA

excellent packet injecter

most access points had moderate signal strength but was able to connect to Most AP that had weak signals (-91dBm)

Generates less heat

Works well with a 5W wifi amplifier

about 26-31 AP detected with direct connection to amplifier (no cabling)

3.TP-LINK WN 722N (USB)

needs to be connected directly to an antenna, cabling between adapter and amplifier seems to affect how much APs is detected

recently bought an rp-sma to sma adapter for direct connection that is, no cabling, was able to pick up

about 15-18 AP detected with direct connection to amplifier (no cabling)

WITH CABLING between adapter and amp 2-3 AP dectected!

4. COMFAST (AR9271) USB DONGLE ( made in china?!)

my special buddy..better than all of the above...

excellent packet injector than all of the above!..

i am amazed how fast this adapter hops channel when using reaver without a channel option

picked up the same no. of AP as the awuso36nha and also connects well to APs that had week signals (as weak as -96dbm!)

Hi,

any updates in the last year? Is the AWUS036NHA the state of the art or can I get a better and newer adapter?

Best regards WebY

Nothing changed.
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

I personally have this one outside on a 30 foot pole so i can have wireless in my shop and can walk nearly 3 blocks away from my house with my phone and still have wifi, it has a great range and omni directional antenna.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
    Custom Built PC dual boot Windows 10 Pro:Kali 2.0 Sana(Primary PC)
    PC quad boot Windows 10 Pro:Kali 2.0 Sana:Kali 2016.1:Blakcbuntu(Development PC)
    RTL-SDR, HackRF ONE, ALFA 2W Waterproof B/G/N wifi(useless for long distance),
    Blurex 1W B/G/N wifi(very good at great distances) and many more
    gadgets used for development.

COMFAST (AR9271) USB DONGLE - Exact model

[QUOTE=repzeroworld;34255]I have the following adapters connected to a 40 feet outdoor antenna with an indoor 5W wifi amplifier

Hi repzeroworld
    Which is the exact model of the 4. COMFAST (AR9271) USB DONGLE ( made in china?!) you talk about?

Thnx. PP

hi to everyone i have the question ok I am trying to install Kali linux on VBox om mac so do I need i wi fi antenna which drivers to be install on mac OX or just plug the antenna and try to fix wlan0 without any drivers to be install on operation system ?

There is a little mistake in two products descriptions :
    The wifi chipset for Alfa AWUS036NHA and TP-Link wn722n is atheros ar9271 and not AR9002U

It uses ath9k_htc driver that is designed for two chipset :
    Quote Originally Posted by debian
    Atheros AR9271, AR7010 devices (ath9k_htc)
    This page describes how to enable support for WiFi devices based on Atheros AR9271 and AR7010 chipsets on Debian systems.
    you can see here the generic stdout for lsusb
    Code:
    USB: 0CF3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n
    wiki.debian.org : ath9k_htc

This can be added to the list, works in any flavor of Linux / MAC OS / Wins also.

http://airlink101.com/products/awll6075.php

Thanks for your nice post. I have learned such more on here.

High-power long range and high sensitivity clipper b/g/n usb adapter 950wn

Intel Dual-Band Wireless Adapter AC-3165 has not been mentioned anywhere in the list of compatibility section. It's an internal wifi adapter which supports both packet injection and monitor mode. If you're planning to buy a new laptop, you must see if this adapter is built-in. So you don't have to buy these expensive external wifi adapter.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2016-12-19 at 15:06.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    Intel Dual-Band Wireless Adapter AC-3165 has not been mentioned anywhere in the list of compatibility section. It's an internal wifi adapter which supports both packet injection and monitor mode. If you're planning to buy a new laptop, you must see if this adapter is built-in. So you don't have to buy these expensive external wifi adapter.
    Do you have some kind of source for this as I've read the opposite (Monitor mode support, NO injection) on two other spots and myself don't get the injection going. Appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by JK24 View Post
    Do you have some kind of source for this as I've read the opposite (Monitor mode support, NO injection) on two other spots and myself don't get the injection going. Appreciate it!
    Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC-3165 is a new model of Intel family. So not much websites know about its compatibility.
    I didn't check any source. I did the compatibility test myself. Then I decided to add this card in the compatibility section. Aircrack-ng compatibility list only mentions those external wifi adapters which are expensive(though they are better). They don't make sure to update list for new internal wifi adapters. Why to buy an external wifi adapter if your built-in wifi adapter can do the same work.

Just want to say that this link is dead(Came over it just becuz im seeking help with my Grundig
    Ralink)
    Quote Originally Posted by g0tmi1k View Post
    Little John

ADMIN OBS: All text styles in Signature are the same

Internal wifi card Realtek 8188ce, in Kali Linux it uses driver rtl8192ce (so probably a card on Realtek 8192ce chipset would work just as well or even better) and works great out of the box. I've found it by accident using my HP Mini 110 even though normally such laptops use wireless that can't do monitor mode or injection. It is plug-n-play in Kali Linux. Please note that according to service manuals HP Mini 110 normally comes with Broadcomm wireless adapter, so check the wireless adapter before buying a laptop.

8188ce can see many access points (about as many as TP-LINK TL-WN722N or Alfa AWUS036NHA!) and works great with Kali Linux (both injection and monitor mode work on par with the best recommended cards).

Samsung 2.4/5GHz wifi dongle for SmartTV, blu-ray players, etc, model WIS12ABGNX
    Uses Ralink RT3572 chipset (same chipset that recent Alfa adapters use), works with Kali out of the box (both monitor mode and injection are available). It uses tiny internal antenna so don't expect great reception. Sensitivity and transmission strength are mediocre at best, but sufficient for many cases.

are there any up to date usb wifi cards / sticks, being perfectly compatible with kali, airo* software, wireshark ... with 2.4 & 5ghz and/or 802.11ac ?

If you look in aircrack -ng compatible cards they are updated and still being manufactured.

Quote Originally Posted by Misc View Post
    5ghz
    Maybe I've missed something. But I could not find an adapter and workflow for 5GHz. I tried two 5GHz-Adapter, both were not compatible to aireplay (but mdk3 seems to work).

AWUS051NH v2 for 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Prove your injection please

hey you can also choose
    TENDA TE-W322U Wireless N300 USB Adapter
    it is very cheap and reliable you can do every attack this adapter will not give you any pain

and it uses a chipset :- Ralink RT3072
    link :- https://www.amazon.com/TENDA-TE-W322...769175997c2d84

i would like to recommend PANDA Wireless devices like PANDA PAU06 and PAU09 which work for me perfectly and do support injection.

https://www.amazon.in/Panda-Wireless...ds=panda+pau06

https://www.amazon.in/gp/customer-re...SIN=B00JDVRCI0

These adapters are really promising with a nice wireless card (Ralink RT5372).

@mstrmnn
    I use the Alfa AWUS1900
    Driver modules in github to compile, and Kali now has realtek-88xxau-dkms package to use.
    I think support for it's just getting built into the kernel now.

My Dell Latitude 5480 laptop can do all pene-testing stuff and is dual band...I highly recommend buying this laptop for hacking....

Dear Kali experts,

Please, help me on how to make Alpha AWUS036ACH wireless card work on Kali Linux VERSION="2019.4" 5.3.0-kali2-amd64

I have been on this for over a week now but to no avail. The Kali Linux is installed on hp probook 450g6 dual booting with windows 10. I have tried the procedure on Kali site in the link: https://www.kali.org/releases/kali-linux-20171-release/ , but it didn't work. The cards that came with the laptop is not even working but it is detected, I am ready to call an expert on WhatsApp to direct me on way out.

I will appreciate anyone willing to help me please, as the case is really URGENT!!

Thank you in anticipation.

Panda Wireless Adapter Number 1 No one can argue with that.

I am looking for a wifi adapter that supports all of the following:
    -2.4 + 5 GHz,
    -AP/master mode,
    -monitor mode and packet injection.

Is there actually such a thing?

I am only aware of the Alfa AWUS036NHA, but this does only 2.4GHz.

What about the following products? Do they support all these things, specifically, did you test it in AP mode (master mode)?

Ralink RT5572 / Panda Pau09

Realtek RTL8812AU / Alfa AWUS036ACH

Realtek RTL8814U / Alfa AC1900

32. Hey, i am looking for wireless card, plzz recommend me as well.

I need a USB Wifi adapter that will work with kali 2020. They all claim to have drivers for Linux, but I cannot find anything that comes with kali 2020 compatible drivers. I need something that is tested preferably by kali developers.

Wow!! excellent information. Thanks a Lot.

USB WIFI TP Link TL-WN822N

I would really like to recommend the TP Link TL-WN822N usb wifi card with all its advantages, which are quite cheap, wide coverage, able to jamming, tracking, deauthentification, and capturing data packets on AP / SSID with low db signal.
    To run smoothly on kali linux 2021.1, I installed the driver from this website:

https://github.com/clnhub/rtl8192eu-linux

and thank you very much to the developer who developed the driver from the original driver from tplink website.

This Usb Wifi supports 3 modes:

1. Master mode is a fake AP if we use the evil twin

Screenshot_20210314_114201.jpg
    2. Monitor mode
    Screenshot_20210313_133950.jpg

3. injection mode
    Cuplikan Layar_2021-03-09_14-44-11.jpg
    Cuplikan Layar_2021-03-09_14-44-59.jpg

with a usb extender more or less 3 meters and I put it on the 2nd floor, the tp link tl-wn822n it can catch AP signals around 30-35 AP/SSID

wow this is very useful and amazing card from tp link.
    For detail type and version you can look at screenshot attachment

I highly recommend this usb wifi.https://www.tp-link.com/id/support/download/tl-wn822n/

Please help

Hi there!

Yesterday I purchased a TP-Link Wireless adapter which its model is TL-WN822N Version 2.0.

I don?t know how to install this adapter in kali Linux can you please help me with this.

Thanks

Good Morning guys!

I recently purchased TPLink T9UH(V2) wireless adapter. I am having issues using this with debian/Kali. I have a Kali VM however, it is not detected by default. Furthermore, I could not install the linux driver. The driver provided in the CD and on their website does not work on Kali or Ubuntu 20.04

I have already tried the following resources.

networking - Installing driver for TP-LINK Archer T9UH AC1900 on Ubuntu 18.04 - Ask Ubuntu

I have not been able to install/use the wireless adapter. Kindly help

What method did you use to enable Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC-3165, internal?