Thread: How to remove two options in boot-up

How to remove two options in boot-up

I need help removing two options when I boot into Kali with VirtualBox.

http://gyazo.com/7eb22fe2632dc3b3bf1a2cc15a3fc594 (screenshot)

As you can see in the screenshot, I have two "Linux 3.10" options. Now I'm not very good with linux, so I have no idea what they are or how they got there (they weren't there before). But it does pop up with this screen now and I don't want that because it automatically selects the "Linux 3.10" option which doesn't have VirtualBox Guest Additions and it has issues installing those additions, so you're stuck with a small screen and other bad things. Any help getting this back to normal would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am assuming you want to get rid of 3.10 Kernels/linux-image?

1. Login to 3.7 kernel. (3rd from top)
    2. Open terminal and do
      Code:
       aptitude search linux-image
    3. This should return all installed Linux-Images in your system. You should be able to remove any (I recommend not to remove linux-image-3.7 as it's the official one)
    4. To remove do
      Code:
       apt-get remove <image-name>

Possibly the reason you have that extra kernel is that you have more repositories (possibly unrecommended ones).

Here's a nice post to sort out sources.list and revert back to official repositories. How to add official Kali Linux Repositories?

Hope that helps

p.s. also what's up with gyazo.com? It pops up with executable all over ... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackMORE View Post
    I am assuming you want to get rid of 3.10 Kernels/linux-image?

1. Login to 3.7 kernel. (3rd from top)
    2. Open terminal and do
      Code:
       aptitude search linux-image
    3. This should return all installed Linux-Images in your system. You should be able to remove any (I recommend not to remove linux-image-3.7 as it's the official one)
    4. To remove do
      Code:
       apt-get remove <image-name>

Possibly the reason you have that extra kernel is that you have more repositories (possibly unrecommended ones).

Here's a nice post to sort out sources.list and revert back to official repositories. How to add official Kali Linux Repositories?

Hope that helps

p.s. also what's up with gyazo.com? It pops up with executable all over ... !!!
    Ah, many thanks It fixed my issue just fine (I also purged it after the first reboot because it was still there). I did switch back to the official repos just before this. Not sure about Gyazo. Anyway, thanks for the quick assistance