Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alfa AWUS036NHA Tx Power Boost Guide

Go in this order and of course do not type in my explanations.

iwconfig - shows you settings of your wifi adapters - internal and external

ifconfig wlan(x) down - (replace x with your adapter. ex 1 or 0) This must be done in order to free up the adapter status for the alteration.

iw reg set GY - (this sets the geographical region to obtain the "allowed" txpower)

iw reg get - (this shows you what region you are set)

iwconfig wlan(x) txpower 30 - This is the command that sets txpower and 30 is the highest you'll get

macchanger wlan(x) -r - Thought I'd throw this in at this point to show you how to disguise the adapter's mac address - non floating - meaning you have to enter the command each time to change. You should always use one that is disguised. You can even spoof a client mac address too. Look it up.

iwconfig wlan(x) mode monitor - At this time as well, if your adapter isn't in monitor mode when you typed just "iwconfig" by itself at the command prompt; this will change it to monitor mode. This needs to be done to utilize the adapter with all the kali apps.

ifconfig wlan(x) up - This reinstates the connection of your adapter. So in this case for example I shall type in "ifconfig wlan1 up" to reinstate.

iwconfig - to check your work.

Good luck. Wifi penetration is very close to impossible these days unless you have a wep encrypted router. Most all modern routers have lock out limiters.

Meh. Really depends on the proximity and your adapter. For the most part it will increase the already available APs in your immediate area. To really see a noticeable, yet still limited difference is by utilizing a booster. Properly coupled with the power output of your adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDD View Post
    I'm able to change to TX Power for my Alfa AWUS036H but not for my new AWUS036NHR v.2

AWUS036NHR v.2
    wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID off/any
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry short limit:7 RTS thr=2347 B Fragment thr off
    Encryption key off
    Power Management off

AWUS036H
    wlan1 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID off/any
    Mode:Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Tx-Power=30 dBm
    Retry short limit:7 RTS thr off Fragment thr off
    Encryption key off
    Power Management off
    True. The NHA is also one that you can't change TX on as well.
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-03-09 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Merge posts