Hi everyone,

I have tried to install Kali in Virtual Box on a Windows 2008 VPS.

I don't own the machine, it is from a hosting company but it appears I have complete control over it.

The machine has 41 GB HD.
Dual 2 GHZ 6C AMD.
2GB RAM
Windows NT 6.1 OS SP1

I know that the RAM is not alot but I believe it to be dynamic.

If I try and install VB It tells me the Network Feature will disconnect me from the internet (which it does), but my server brings up a box that says something like "lost connection retrying".

It tries 20 times (about 10 minutes) but never reconnects (to finish the install I assume).

If I disable Bridged Networking and Host-Only Networking by selecting "entire feature will be unavailable" during the install, I wont get the connection retrying problem and VB appears to install.

I right click on the app in Windows Explorer and running as administrator.

I get a pop-up box: cannot access the kernel driver.

After that I get a box with this message:

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
Machine
Interface:
IMachine {480cf695-2d8d-4256-9c7c-cce4184fa048}

I've installed 4.3.4 and when that was giving the errors, uninstalled it and then installed 4.2.20. Same problems.

The most popular fix seems to be right-clicking on the two files in the Oracle directory and installing them but that is not fixing the problem.

I see the small windows pop up rapidly and disappear when performing a right-click-install.

Now then. If the installation on a Windows VPS using Virtual Box is not possible can I install on perhaps, a Linux based VPS?

I have installed regular metasploit community edition on the same Windows VPS and it works fine. It doesn't need to have Virtual Box to run tho of course.

Thanks for any help!