I am doing/attempting an attack on my own network using airodump-ng in a vm environment....

Code:
airodump-ng -c 1 --bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:9D -w Deepspacewpa mon0
When I first ran this it captured the handshake and I was able to successfully crack it using oclHashcat.

As I wanted to test oclHashcat further by including digits at the end and the use of masks etc. I changed the router password
to "something1234" and proceeded to do another capture using the same syntax as above. I was able to capture another handshake
and converted it to a hccap using the online service hashcat.net

I then added the password to my word list and with the new hccap file ran it through oclhashcat. It did not find the new password
but what it was finding was the old password "something". I tried several times more with new captures but the result was the same-the
old password was reported - if I deleted this from the list then nothing was found.

I decided to reboot the computer just in case something was caught in a cache or something and changed the password on the router again to a
smaller one "thing1234". I was able to log in through Kali to the router with this new password so decided to do a new capture and converted
to hccap using aircrack -j option (just in case there was a problem with the website) alas! the same result the original/old password was discovered.

For some reason aircrack/kali is holding onto the old password/handshake - how am I able to fix this and prevent it from happening again?

Rab.